Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, what say ye.

I am looking at a 2006 saab 9-5 wagon (AERO) today. 125K on the ODO. Appears to be in good shape. Asking 5K

My other two candidates are a 2018 Tourx, white with shale interior, fully loaded with all options. 27K

2015 VW Gold Sportwagen, SEL, white with quartz interior. Asking $16.8

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's interesting that I have never seen a Buick Tourx on the road. Had to Google it.
I bet it will be discontinued in a year or two - knowing GM.

Really, don't under rate the underrated Saab.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am just looking for the right one. The 2006 was in nice condition for the age, but it needs tires, I think there is a vacuum leak somewhere (the turbo drops off when you gun it) and the starter couldn't turn over the engine (almost like it was straining). Even when we jumped the car, the starter was straining. So, is it the starter or is there someone else wrong? I did not like the discolored dipstick top (at the hole in the yellow top); it is almost like there is some blowby. On top of this, the owner is firm in price. Sigh

I have also started looking at TDI Touraregs too.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
If you were to give me a car, I'd go for the TourX! 'Cause its a free new car!!

Financially, a good 9-5 wagon will be less expensive to operate for the next few years than either of the newer cars. Even after subtracting resale value, it's hard to see how any maintenance on an older 9-5 will add up to the $10-20k difference in price of the newer cars.

I would very carefully look at the reliability of a 2015 VW car. I'm not sure I'd pay that much for a used VW. Either get a cheaper older one that you can write off if it's crap, or a newer one with warranty.

The TourX would be a pretty safe choice if you like it, but of course you could probably buy ten 9-5 wagons for that price. (Not that all, or maybe even most, of the 9-5s would be fit to drive every day.)

Mitsubishi starters on the 2002+ 9-5 cars often crank slower and slower. I cleaned up one I pulled of a junkyard car, shop installed it, it cranks just fine. I would have to clean up the removed starter and install it to see if a cleanup was all that it needs.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks EdT. I am still debating, but in the meantime, the Touareg TDI has entered the conversation. I think the sportwagen has exited.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts