SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy,
I found an 88 spg for sale and wanted to know anyones opinions on it and what i should watch out for. Its got about 180xxx, the ac doesn't work and theres a "small" leak in the sunroof.

can these be fixed for a small amount of cash, or is one supposed to live with it?
Also, whats the life expectancy for essentials like water pump and timing belt/chain?

i havent' seen the car yet, but the guy wants $2500 for it. any advice?

·
Registered
386 Posts
well that is a bit pricey but could be good. if the car is in good working order and the interior is nice it is well worth it. how does it run? turbo come in nice? watch for jumping out of gears, weak boost, knocking on start up (could indicate loose or warn timing chain), check to make sure there is no oil in the coolent or coolent in the oil (sign of bad head gasket) and the other normals of used cars. the life of a water pumps is, humm... i would say 80k miles or so depending on driving and weather. i know my NA i put the first one on at like 140kish. and i think my black car had its second on and it has 218k on it. the timing chain they claim last a lifetime but i dont buy that. i had my head done at 215k and the chain was near done. it was stretched and you could see it was weak. i think they recommend 100k-150k? i could be wrong but better to catch the chain early than let it go and have it snap and bend a valve. alot of wear on the engine is related to how it was driven and how you plan on driving it.there are threads about the things to watch out for on a saab. search around you can find alot about used saabs on here. happy saabing!

later
dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any other thoughts//???

is this vehicle worth $2500 if its in average condition other than the sunroof, a/c issues?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I say go for it, if you follow what NLspiked02 says and everything checks out, then youve got a good car there! Of course you should always try to bargain down to as cheap as possible...

·
Registered
18,382 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, i just test drove it, and her engine sounds nice, uses no oil, and has decent pull. the turbo is a bit hard to get the needle to go too far, and the clutch wants to pop out of gear---
----somewhat.

as for the body, its mint, but the rear bumper is a little worn and the hood has these marble cracks in the front third....??

i'm thinking about offering just under $2k, then go from there.

sound good?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i can live without a/c (rather be happy and hot than riced-out and cold) but the leaky sunroof............what are my options on that - its gotta be fixed but the question is by who. its a power sunroof so does that mean its harder to take off the vehicle?

so if anyone can help me out with some tips on how to fix a leaky power sunroof, or worst case, how much it costs to do so, i'd be a giddy gonzo driving a swedish steede.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey, what was that you said about "almost" wanting to jump out of gear...... Any gearbox work will be very expensive, make sure the gearbox is in good condition. If it jumps out of gear, any gear, than it will cost big money ($2000-3000) as both the engine and gearbox have to be removed together.
Also make sure that the turbo, doesn't puff out oiley smoke, let the car idle for 15-20minutes.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Jumping ut of gear can be attributable to weak engine mountings especially the front hydraulic one - place the car in 1st gear handbrake on hard, bonnet open and give it a few revs and try to pull away with the handbrake on - if the front of the engine comes up and hits the buffer rubber over the front mount then its shot.

Pete.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts