SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be moving out to Arizona from my home in Massachusetts in a few weeks and plan to drive my 2003 93 Vector out there (approximately 2800 miles, yikes) and I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice about things to check on my car to make sure it will survive.

Some background on the car:
- New all seasons put on last winter, still in great condition
- Brakes put on this summer (questionable with how I drive =), but will be OK)
- Obviously getting an oil change before I go
- Computer has (sadly) been replaced already so I know that will be ok
- Battery's new this summer
- All wheel bearings have all been replaced..

.. now that I type it all out, its kinda sad how much work I've done on my baby but I wouldn't trade it for anything

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Check your vacuum hoses, tire pressure, fluids..... a visual Imspection pf the brakes wouldn't hurt, there less that a year old though, Oil Change? When are you due?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Coolant flush if you haven't in the past 3 years or so. Also change tranny oil if it is due.
Long drives can cause heat build up otherwise there is not much stress just cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coolant flush was done with the last oil change, and I'm due for my 3000k oil change now but I'm waiting till the week I go to get it done.

Good ideas guys, keep it coming please.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
How many miles on the car? Auto or manual? Recent services besides what you have listed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many miles on the car? Auto or manual? Recent services besides what you have listed?
Approximately 120k (its old but almost mechanically perfect), auto, and besides the stuff I listed above I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Coolant flush was done with the last oil change, and I'm due for my 3000k oil change now but I'm waiting till the week I go to get it done.

Good ideas guys, keep it coming please.

Your Changing Synthetic Oil every 3K? A liitle much to say the least....

·
Registered
554 Posts
A lot of times, I think people over think it. You're doing 2,800 miles but how many times have you done it before to get 80,000+ let say that I'm at now. Only thing I could say is do a visual look (like you should be doing regularly anyways) and see if anything looks like its in bad shape. And maybe do your oil in advance or right after you get to MA depending on when you changed your oil last. Other than that your care has done 2800mi plenty of times. And constantly going is better for the car then the constantly on and off nature of day to day driving. So don't panic and enjoy the trip.

And to the heat build up comment. It does occur especially in one straight drive. But I would suggest that unless you do these trips regularly or you dont have time, make little stops in neat places to check out. Will save your car some stress and save your *** :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts