SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am trying to redo my Wilder mod. I have searched the forum for 2 hours looking for a functional picture of someones manual boost controller set up but I had no luck at all. So if someone could show me a picture of there set up that would be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
thanks cj thats very informative. how much boost could you run?
With the electronic boost controller (wilder mod) installed I ran 20psi. I didn't take it above that. I bought my MBC from that site, the owner and maker of them lives about 10 minutes away from me. That MBC he makes maxes out @ 25psi. I don't think anyone here will be going above that anytime soon. I did a dyno run with that application and made 202whp/241wtq. Which are basically BSR st.1 numbers and that was just by raising the boost. My car was also running crazy lean and I had an issue with my FPR. I do have the dyno sheet for proof, if you want to see it just let me know. I posted it on here before, but I know how people are always skeptical of what they read.

Here's a video of the dyno run. This was a while back when I just had a Magnaflow muffler installed and nothing else. Once I get all this little stuff out of the way and get my old Corolla running I will send my ECU off for a tune and have some st.3 numbers. I'm going for a base run some time next week to see what my car is currently making with the full 3" exhaust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI3tfWCLFx8

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
cj i got one more for you u said to do it slowly the boost adjustment. first can i do it when the cars on and second if i reset with set boost will it throw a code and i will have to start over?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
cj i got one more for you u said to do it slowly the boost adjustment. first can i do it when the cars on and second if i reset with set boost will it throw a code and i will have to start over?
I did it slowly at first because I wanted to see how the car reacted to the increase in boost. Also with a MBC there are no set marks as to how much you are boosting so I wanted to see how many turns would be needed to reach a certain boost level. It was also talked about on here how some people with BSR tunes would have their intercooler piping pop off with the increased boost. Yes, you can adjust the boost with the car on, but I don't know why you would want to do that. With a MBC you need to adjust it by hand unless you buy one of those fancy ones that install inside the engine and have a knob you can mount inside the car. Just to make it clear you won't see any higher boost level by just installing the MBC, you need the wilder mod along with it so that the ECU doesn't detect the increase boost and cut it back. When I first put the MBC I did not have the wilder mod and you can feel the increased boost, but once the ECU adapts it will cut the boost if you don't have the wilder mod installed as well. With just the MBC you will get a little better spool which for me was noticeable on the highway when overtaking, but not in city driving.

By the way, where is Wilder anyways. He probably sold his Saab by now. I know he was hungry for some power.:lol:

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
see my question is if i do the mod can i just run stock (as in no boost mods) with no cel
Yeah, you can do that. Just adjust your MBC to the bottom where it won't put provide any resistance. I dd it when I let my someone use my car for a couple of days. I never once got a CEL with this because it tricks the ECU into thinking you have never reached max boost.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I recently installed the SMBC from Smart Performance on my 9-3 Linear and increased resistance by one turn. Thus far, it is fantastic with no CEL.....The boost and torque is very smooth in the lower gears with no turbo lag. The product definitely does what it advertises and you wont be disappointed.....Especially, when you hear the turbo spool up! It is easier to install than they describe.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
u don't necessarliy need an MBC with the wilder mod. If you have tuned the clamp circuit, or made it adjustable, then there is no need to install an MBC.

And yes, over time the mod seemed to lose it's effectiveness. maybe it was just percieved effectiveness as no one to my recoollection has done a proper before after dyno with it. And the running lean thing I recall was due to that one member having another issue with their car, so it did not seem relate.

I ran mine MBC free for about 6 months, 20lbs of boost was mad fun for that time, but I just didn't trust it for the long-haul.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
u don't necessarliy need an MBC with the wilder mod. If you have tuned the clamp circuit, or made it adjustable, then there is no need to install an MBC.

And yes, over time the mod seemed to lose it's effectiveness. maybe it was just percieved effectiveness as no one to my recoollection has done a proper before after dyno with it. And the running lean thing I recall was due to that one member having another issue with their car, so it did not seem relate.

I ran mine MBC free for about 6 months, 20lbs of boost was mad fun for that time, but I just didn't trust it for the long-haul.
I was the one running lean and noted it in my original post. I also don't think it loses the effectiveness over time. I did my dyno run almost three months after the initial install and the numbers don't lie. I just wish I would have made it back after fixing my FPR.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
i think i will only run this for a month or 2 but i cant see how it would lose its effectiveness.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
u guys could be right, I guess it may really boil down to perception.... kinda like how after our cars adapt and pulling negative terminal for a couple minutes brings the smile back. Also reminds me of the 'kinda lost that tuner feeling' thread going on now.

I think if someone got the proper equipment for this, wideband, afr, exhaust temps, probably forgetting something else, and ran this mod for a few k miles with everything looking kosher, then I may revisit it. I only had a boost gauge and not knowing what else was really going on kinda made me a bit leary.

I remember wilder had a vid or maybe it was a pic, he had an o2, but not a wideband. I also remember him saying that afr's were looking good, but based off his non-wideband O2, I wouldn't trust it.

CJ - if you ever get back to the dyno, I'd love to see results with a healthy fpr and take the 4 minutes of time required to de-install the wilder/mbc setup your running to get the before/after.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
u guys could be right, I guess it may really boil down to perception.... kinda like how after our cars adapt and pulling negative terminal for a couple minutes brings the smile back. Also reminds me of the 'kinda lost that tuner feeling' thread going on now.

I think if someone got the proper equipment for this, wideband, afr, exhaust temps, probably forgetting something else, and ran this mod for a few k miles with everything looking kosher, then I may revisit it. I only had a boost gauge and not knowing what else was really going on kinda made me a bit leary.

I remember wilder had a vid or maybe it was a pic, he had an o2, but not a wideband. I also remember him saying that afr's were looking good, but based off his non-wideband O2, I wouldn't trust it.

CJ - if you ever get back to the dyno, I'd love to see results with a healthy fpr and take the 4 minutes of time required to de-install the wilder/mbc setup your running to get the before/after.
im getting this wideband http://www.14point7.com/Widebands/Widebands.htm the naw7 when i boost ill let you guys know i should be putting it all together this week

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Same here, but next time I get back to the dyno is going to be a while. My focus right now is on my Rolla and getting it done so I can hit the track this summer. The Saab is on the back burner for now.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Same here, but next time I get back to the dyno is going to be a while. My focus right now is on my Rolla and getting it done so I can hit the track this summer. The Saab is on the back burner for now.
so im stumbling apon more and more money and i think i might be going stage 3 :S so im positive im only going to be pumped on boost for a week

1 - 18 of 18 Posts