SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys...

Does anyone know of a website vendor that sells new suspension parts for a 1999 9-5?

I started to hear a knocking noise when I traveled over any bumps. I took it to the dealer and he says that the noise is coming from my struts and that it would cost about $1000.00 US to replace both struts in the front. The car has 66,000 miles on it and if I am going to do this I would rather get an aftermarket set for both front and rears. I want to tighten things up a bit as far as handling is concerned but I do not want completely sacrifice ride quality to do this. Any recommendations on brands and websites will really help.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Between the members here, we've every possible suspension setup going and will all swear blind ours is the best. :roll: One mans ideal ride quality is too hard for another... i was told by someone who's raced Saabs the Eibach Pro setup was the best for the 9-5, so thats what i went with. Like most aftermarket setups, it lowers the car about 30-35mm and transforms the handling, all in all i would say its the best modification i've made to the car. Its available here on www.partsforsaabs.com , but don't forget the price you see includes 17.5% tax us Brits have to pay, its tax free for all you septics..:cheesy:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found a Reasonable Price...

Thanks for the info...

For anyone looking, I have found a website that has some really good prices on SAAB suspension parts. Go to the following link:

www.shox.com

I think I am going with the Koni Eibach setup. At $738 US...I could not find a better deal.

The Koni's are adjustable according to the website. The range is "1 to 5." The only problem is that you have to adjust the setup before you put is on the car. If you do not like the setting you have to remove the struts completely to change the setting. Anyone here familiar with the Koni Sports and the ideal setting to pick?

Thanks

·
Registered
679 Posts
Im getting the Saab upgrade kit... in the next few days so I can let you know what that is like...

Although its gunna be hard for me to compare it with the standard setup.. as my cars shocks have been on the way out for some time.

I think all of them are gone at this stage and one on the front has a habit of locking up altogether... I really had to pull my finger out and get it sorted before I find myself heading into mister tree or something more unmovable while trying to bring the car round a corner with bumps on it...

Its definitly sharpened up my driving thats for sure, but when shocks are dodgy you really cant afford to be caught off gaurd...

Now I cant wait to take delivery of my suspension upgrade kit :) going to get them in asap.

Michael

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
dicreamio said:
Im getting the Saab upgrade kit... in the next few days so I can let you know what that is like...Michael
Its a great improvement over the standard suspension, you will be well pleased, I only changed mine from this set up recently to get some more traction, at stage 1 and 2 levels it was fine ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Cheers for that Chris, really cant wait :) did you put them in yourself?.

Going to be sticking them in at a friends house he happens to have a car lift which makes things very handy.

Do you need to setup the camber after the change? if so I will track down a place with the laser alignment. Will have to do the wheel alignment anyway and get myself a set of tires for the front.

The list goes on :).

Michael

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Nope I got a garage to do it, all went well except the front antiroll bar which was a pig for them, I would advise using loads of wd40 cos those small bolts are tight!

Took them about 4 hrs
They did check the alignment but it was spot on, so worth checking I guess! ;)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Anyone here familiar with the Koni Sports and the ideal setting to pick?
cipher - I just had those very Sports put on. The shop put the setting at 3 and I am very happy with the result - a very, very nice ride (I also have lowering springs).

Now - I certainly don't know what settings 1, 2, 4, or 5 would be like so I am essentially blissfully ignorant. But at least I'm blissful!

They are super shocks, well worth the money - I believe you will be pleased with the results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts