SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my brakes about 25000km ago and they’re completely warped right now and require replacement. I thought I went with a good brand and quality(Raybestos coated) but they starting causing brake pulsations 10000km ago and now the pulsations are really bad, I can’t tolerate it anymore. I was going to wait until summer to order the rotors but I just got a check engine light and pulled a P1312 code so I need to order a DIC so I might as well order brakes with DIC to bundle for shipping.

Does anyone have any brake rotor recommendations? I want longevity. Don’t want to replace brakes every 15000km. The pads are plenty thick, but is it recommended to change pads with the rotors?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
Saab OEM disks and pads. I put them on the front and back of my 9-5 at least 50,000 km ago, and they are perfectly smooth (and strong) still. Last I looked when I was putting on winter tires, there's good amount of pad material left.

The car is being driven to work in Toronto, usually on city streets. Brakes get used a lot.

That's assuming, of course, that what Orio provides today is what Orio provided to me back in 2017,

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discs warped in 9300-15000 miles? Something is wrong. I’d check for sticking caliper(s). A stuck caliper will cause excessive heat and could warp a rotor. Find the cause before replacing parts - is one set of pads worn more than others? Be sure to check the inboard pads, too.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Brake discs really don't "warp" as in change their shape. What happens is that hot rotors will get bits of pads on them that slightly change the thickness. Over time this buildup will continue in the same spots. It's highly likely that you could have your rotors turned instead of replacing them.

What causes this is heavy braking with pads that outgas stuff that sticks to the rotors and then parking the car with the rotors still really hot.

as for new rotors, I put a set of ceramic pads with R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors on my 2003 Aero in 2007, in 2017 when I sold the car still had both on and I had put about 80K (lots of highway) miles on it. But still 10 years. Those ceramic pads wore like iron and stopped really good. I was quite happy with them.

They sell on ebay, thats where you'll get your best price. I did all 4 wheels at once. Oh and the ceramic pads make almost no dust so my wheels didn't need to be cleaned on an almost daily basis!

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Is it correct that over tight lug nuts can wreck a rotor?
I don't see how given that the bolts go through the rotors and thread into the hubs. If it went into the rotors I could see it.

now if you have a non-flat interface (like some rust build up) between the rotors and the hub that could do it.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
I agree with Unclemiltie, it's probably a deposition problem, not a dimensional problem. Pull the wheels and turn the rotors by hand, you can often see and feel where the rotors have a bit of extra drag.

In my experience, that's the fault of the rotors and not necessarily the pads. On my NG900, I installed Zimmerman coated rotors (so not parts-store cheapies) and Akebono Euro Premium ceramic pads. After some years and maybe 110,000km, the shuddering while braking was ridiculous. I then purchased NAPA premium rotors, which did not fit on the hub properly. After fighting them for a bit, I returned them for full credit, and installed Saab OEM rotors. Those worked fine until the car was scrapped--with the same Akebono pads.

Note that in addition to just driving a lot in city traffic, both cars have towed significant loads (er, my utility trailer without brakes was never loaded beyond the maxiumum 1000 lbs total weight, no sirree), again in city traffic. The Saab rotors have had no issues. I put Saab rotors and pads on the back of my 2004 convertible, and I will be ordering Saab rotors and pads for the front of that car as well (the current fronts passed safety, but they're somewhat worn).

The big disadvantage of Saab pads is that they dust like a coal chute.

One big advantage of Saab pads is that they are designed for city driving, so they have excellent bite and response, whether cold or warmed up.

I assume that Saab also designed the pads to be reasonably gentle on the rotors. I guess I'll see how long the set on my 9-5 wagon last.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts