SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have owned my viggen for a month now and i am starting to think about tuning.
i have noticed that it has got 2 cats on, surley this is massively restictive.
what exhausts are on offer??
at what cost??
would the viggen benefit from just a front pipe with no cat on??

can a after market air filter be fitted??
would this bennefit the viggen??

can the boost be increased??
by how much??
does it need other things when the boost is increased??
can it be adjusted manually or does it have to be donr through the ecu??

i have read that the viggen can make full power at high altitude by increasing the boost it'self through the ecu upto 20psi.
what psi does it run normally??
can the car be fooled to think it needs to increase the boost??

sorry about all the questions but i have done a few searches on here and still not sure, so i thought it wise to ask people in the know :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
SLAB said:
i have owned my viggen for a month now and i am starting to think about tuning.
i have noticed that it has got 2 cats on, surley this is massively restictive.
what exhausts are on offer??
at what cost??
would the viggen benefit from just a front pipe with no cat on??
There are definatly other options. Use the links on this page to some aftermarket parts suppliers. I beleiuve the JT full 3" is popular with the Vig guys.

SLAB said:
can a after market air filter be fitted??
would this bennefit the viggen??
Yes again, there is a drop in filter, and a full intake set-up also available.

SLAB said:
can the boost be increased??
by how much??
does it need other things when the boost is increased??
can it be adjusted manually or does it have to be donr through the ecu??
Because your car is a t7, this has to be done through the ecu. Your options are Nordic, Maptun, BSR, and SQR.

SLAB said:
i have read that the viggen can make full power at high altitude by increasing the boost it'self through the ecu upto 20psi.
what psi does it run normally??
can the car be fooled to think it needs to increase the boost??
I have heard its in the 17 psi range. T7 is always adjusting, so this number is always changing. There isn't much to do except an ecu to adjust the peak boost.

·
Registered
328 Posts
well i just wrote a huge long reply to your post but my computer crashed so now you get a shorter version! so here's my $0.02...

1) get a rear sway bar and steering rack clamp/brace FIRST. these will make a dramatic difference in handling/body roll/torque steer

2) you can put on a SMBC (series manual boost control). this will "fool" the car into thinking it doesn't have as much boost as it does. it will NOT raise your overall boost, it will just let the turbo spool up faster & increase the amount of useable torque under the curve

3) get a drop in performance air filter. again, big difference especially as you increase other mods

4) get a new intercooler before you start doing anything else to the engine. the stock viggen intercooler only flows 100-150 cfm depending on who you ask, but the bottom line is it's a big restriction. fix that first.

5) then get a 3" downpipe with high flow cat. no real gain from getting a full 3" system (again, depends who you ask). the 3" dp will decrease your spool up time, decrease exhaust gas temps, and add up to 18 wheel hp and 30 ft/lb torque (dyno-proven on a stock 9-3 base model with no other mods!)

6) THEN you can get around to a new ECU. the new ECU needs the intercooler, dp, and high flow intake to work properly. those are all options... i think i'm going to go with SQR myself.

7) T7 works through total air mass, NOT total air pressure. this means that the car will add as much boost as it needs (up to 20psi) to achieve the needed amount of air mass. so at higher altitude it will boost more to compensate for thinner air, and when it's cold out it will boost less to compensate for more dense air. hopefully this makes sense. once i had that explained to me, everything made a lot more sense & i wish someone had explained it to me sooner!

damn :eek: that still ended up long. hope this all helps you out!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
smbc will raise boost be careful...... NC pretty much covered all bases... me personally if i could do it all over again with my car....hahahhahahahaha i wouldnt change ****.... i love it i would def do suspension first..

also if u want to know the effects of hardware without software on your car just read about mine... people will tell u a sh*t load of theories with no proof, well i tested all the theories and most were wrong.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Very nice write up NC. Winthrop ME huh? That's not so far from me.... I know Winthrop as a large speed trap on 202 from Lewiston to Augusta, too bad you have a Vig there! Let me know the next time you're in Maine man.

·
Registered
328 Posts
yeah it's a huge speed trap... good news is i used to work EMS in winthrop so i know all the cops :cool: i moved to NC for the navy and right now i'm in iraq, but i'll be home on leave at the end of august/beginning of september! it's good to see some locals on here, i've been hanging out on saabnet for a while but it's just a different crowd i guess. so i'm glad i found this board too :)

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
2 cats? I think you are confusing the center resonator for a cat. Unless there's something I am missing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts