SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i went out to start my saab 9-3 I turned the key over and the starter just spun it wouldn't engage. I replaced the starter and it starts but I dont even turn it all the way and its starting on its own. Can someone tell me if its the ignition or the starter relay. It is also still spinning while the car is running. any info will be apreciated

thanks
chris

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Don't let the engine run with the starter engaged. It will ruin both the flywheel and the starter.

It sounds like you might have a faulty ignition switch... Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

If I have to put a new ignition switch in, does it come with a new key and how do I set up the new key with the alarm.

thanks chris

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
The ignition switch consists of the upper part (where the key goes) and the lower part (where the electrical connections are). It sounds like the lower part is failing, but without seeing the car, it's just a guess. Sometimes a spring in the upper part fails, and the key doesn't return to On after the engine starts... Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ignition switch

The top cover for the ignition switch comes off and there is a computer board there. Does that just pop off of the ingnition switch i dont want to pull it off if i'm not suppose to. Is there any way to test the ingition switch once I get it out to find out which part is bad.
If anyone knows I would appreciate it I have ordered a haines book but it hasnt arrived yet lol probably come after i get it fixed
thanks
chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts