SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he title says it all. I have a 92 900 s, which I am trying to put a after market radio in. I've seen faq, and diagrams but nothing seems to match up with whats in my car.

I pull the radio out and have a cage, with 2 connectors and 2 fuses. I then pull the cage out which is hardwired by 3 wires (red yellow and blue) an antenna wire and two connectors (one male, one female). after removing the three primary color wire brace, I find that they are actually looms containing a mass of wires (too many to list). While the male connector (from car side) has red brown green and blue. While the female side has red blue gray brown/white green and black.

If you managed to make it trough all that the question is how do I hook up a aftermarket radio. I have 10 wires that I can work with, I need 11,( 2 per speaker, grd, 12+ and ING). What are the three primary wire looms, can I just hack them off?

that's all for now.
thanks in advance for all help.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
xtraxmechx said:
he title says it all. I have a 92 900 s, which I am trying to put a after market radio in. I've seen faq, and diagrams but nothing seems to match up with whats in my car.

I pull the radio out and have a cage, with 2 connectors and 2 fuses. I then pull the cage out which is hardwired by 3 wires (red yellow and blue) an antenna wire and two connectors (one male, one female). after removing the three primary color wire brace, I find that they are actually looms containing a mass of wires (too many to list). While the male connector (from car side) has red brown green and blue. While the female side has red blue gray brown/white green and black.

If you managed to make it trough all that the question is how do I hook up a aftermarket radio. I have 10 wires that I can work with, I need 11,( 2 per speaker, grd, 12+ and ING). What are the three primary wire looms, can I just hack them off?

that's all for now.
thanks in advance for all help.
Standard car stereo wiring colours would normally be...

Blue - Aerial. +12v FROM HEAD UNIT when switched on.
Yellow - Memory. +12v permanent.
Red - Switched Feed. +12v when ignition switched on.
Black - Earth
Orange - Illlumination. +12v when dash lights switched on.

Then you've got four coloured pairs - plain and black trace - for speakers.
White - LF
Grey - RF
Green - LR
Purple - RR

If you get those wrong way round, doesn't matter - you can easily figure which is which using the fader & balance.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I recomend leaving the factory wiring alone, and building an adapter using the plugs from the old radio. One of the plugs as for the speakers, the other is for radio power, lighting and power antenna. It may look like a puzzle at first, but it's not to difficult.

·
Registered
959 Posts
They sell a plug adapter at crutchfield.com for the wiring loom/harness that has bare wires at the end to connect to your new radio and should be colour coded to match the new aftermarket radio wires

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the speedy replies but not really what I'm looking for. Speaker placement isn't really a issue as I can test pairs to find which is which as it seems that saab has changed colors quite often.

My main problem is that the three wire looms containing a mass of wires doesn't disconnect. They are hard wired to the cage that held the radio. Seems to have an amp or something on the back of cage. To do anything with a aftermarket I would have to cut or just shove this mass of wires in the back, which is easier said then done.

As for the wires that can be disconnected I am short one wire as well as the colors mentioned above.

grey green and orange are behind the three wires kinda hard to see.

Ihope now you may see my delima. I found this link http://www.comdens.com/Saab/900radio-wire-colors.html
for a 90' saab 900 but once again the colors don't match up and nothing is said about the yellow blue and red wire looms.

Is this some kind of hybrid mutant saab or what. :evil:
thanks for any and all help

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
davidlytle said:
They sell a plug adapter at crutchfield.com for the wiring loom/harness that has bare wires at the end to connect to your new radio and should be colour coded to match the new aftermarket radio wires
Unfortunately these adaptors are only good for 900's which had standardised wiring for the audio system. None of mine do except the 89 16V car which has a fairly klunky (by modern standards) 'made by Alpine for Saab' radio/cassette unit.

All the others have no such thing as standard wiring or connector setups. Maybe the standardised wiring didn't come to the fore until the mid to late 80's?

Craig.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The only time I have seen the yellow red blue looms was on the 9000's and the later ones. Can you trace the wires to where they go. they should have a plug on the end in the back

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmmm. I feel dumb now, they unplugged. kudos for stating the obvious to me. sometimes is not as complicated as it looks.

now for speakers. i'm thinking now that their aren' 4 speakers or the they are bridge from the stereo. thus the 4 wires on the one harness. Any thoughts guys?

side note: so no 900's have these wires, only the 9000's. hmmm wonder why?

·
Registered
959 Posts
There should be 2 plugs. 1 plugs has the wires for ground, power (ignition), constant power (memory), antena, ilumination. the other plug has the wires for front L front R back L and Back R. I have the audio manual that came with my car which is how I did my rewire. so if you have your manual it will tell what what tires go where based on the color. its really nice and super easy that way. I just took my saab audio book to my room and downloaded the manual for the aftermarket radio I had lying around and just connected the wires that said they do the same thing. radio works perfect. but dont cut those plugs. like griff stated just get an old radio and cut the plugs off and wire it on in case you want to ever install the factory radio. Which is what I want. since I took it to a place and had them do it. they cut off the plugs and now I want to restore the car to factory, the radios wont work soe some reason. not getting amp power. good luck

david

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so helpful today david. you need a cookie or something. I looked in the manual. red and yellow go to a cd/eq while blue goes to the rear amp. thus i only have speaker connections to the front. now i must find the rear amp....

thanks again i think we got it.:D

·
Registered
959 Posts
Good deal, glad its gonna work. I still need to do a legit re-wire of my radio harness. how I have it now is just twisted wires and electrical tape for a temp job but I will be soldering and shrink wrapping in the future.

·
4,637 Posts
xtraxmechx said:
while blue goes to the rear amp. thus i only have speaker connections to the front. now i must find the rear amp....
Rear amp should be under rear seat. It's going to be fun trying to patch in a feed from the new head unit to the existing amp but it should be possible. There should only be stereo line out and a switched live to switch on the amp.

·
Registered
392 Posts
How do you pull the radio out of the dash? Do you need to take off some trip pieces and than use those silly U Shaped DIN removal tools? I have an aftermarket alpine unit in right now but that needs to come out so I can put my pioneer in. The alpine unit is old and is starting to act up.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
aznsaab said:
How do you pull the radio out of the dash? Do you need to take off some trip pieces and than use those silly U Shaped DIN removal tools? I have an aftermarket alpine unit in right now but that needs to come out so I can put my pioneer in. The alpine unit is old and is starting to act up.
Depends on the head unit - some need the U-shaped tools, others have brand-specific removal tools.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts