SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have removed my ignition module for cleaning but am now getting the SID warning 'key not accepted- contact dealer', and my keys will not turn at all in the ignition. I have tried all of the do-it-yourself suggestions noted on other threads, but with no luck, such as buying a new battery, holding the key's open trunk/unlock buttons for 20 seconds, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and then putting the key in the ignition twice to try to reprogram it, and making the alarm go off and inserting the key in the ignition hoping it would reprogram. No luck. I just get 2 flashes from the markers. The steering wheel is not locked and I can't get it to lock. The remotes will lock and unlock the doors but not the trunk.

Before I removed the ISM and cleaned it the key would turn, but now it won't at all which makes me think it's a key synch problem, or I busted something in the ISM or installed it incorrectly with the cleaning/removal process. Any more thoughts?

note: I cleaned the ignition module because the car was occasionally not starting and my battery and starter connections and grounds seem fine. I tested the R8 relay both by bridging it with a wire and switching it with another relay to make sure the problem is in the cockpit and bought a new battery. Previously I had cleaned the terminals and battery attachments though they looked fine.

This was my problem before I took out the ISM to clean it (perhaps unnecessary reading):

Sometimes my car starts fine, sometimes it doesn't start at all with no engine turnover, or will 20 minutes later, or the next day. When it won't start I hear a loud "click click, short pause, click click, short pause, etc., emanating from the engine area. The headlights come on strongly as I turn the key, then shut off as the key turn reaches the end of its' rotation where you feel a little resistance against your hand (the 'on' position?), which I have read here suggests the ignition module is good. The lights don't dim at all during ignition.

Also, occasionally the SID does display the 'insert key and turn again' statement but none of the other messages folks here have reported getting which could indicate a CIM failure (according to other threads). The clock does go blank however, and needs to be reset each time.

I have read all of the similar threads and, per some of these, it seems it wouldn't be the solenoid as that is the clicking that I hear and the headlights turn off as I'm holding the key in the 'on' position.

The dude (and I mean dude) who came by as I was staring at the engine bay in the supermarket parking lot today said I might try spraying something on the solenoid for some reason, and then hits me up for a couple of bucks for some 'soup'. He then suggest switching the key back and forth a few times, and whatdyaknow, it starts. Before I buy spray stuff, any other thoughts?

I do remember Niks04 arc posted it might need a tow to somebody with tech2 to fix, perhaps it needs a 'force key' with tech2 . I'm hoping not.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had my 05 9-3 lock up just like that and tried all the DIY methods you mentioned. In the end I had to have it towed to Sewell to have the ignition replaced. Cost me $1800 if i remember correctly. I really hope you can find an easy work around!

When mine broke, i did a few ebay searches for replacement ignition modules. I had found an ignition/key combo for less than $200. Not sure if it's quite that easy, but it might be worth looking into. Good luck brother!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had my 05 9-3 lock up just like that and tried all the DIY methods you mentioned. In the end I had to have it towed to Sewell to have the ignition replaced. Cost me $1800 if i remember correctly. I really hope you can find an easy work around!

When mine broke, i did a few ebay searches for replacement ignition modules. I had found an ignition/key combo for less than $200. Not sure if it's quite that easy, but it might be worth looking into. Good luck brother!
Thanks, I think. I should have sacrificed a goat the other day on the solstice; it's the only thing I haven't tried.

I appreciate the sentiment!

·
Super Moderator
9,373 Posts
sounds like your ism has gone south,just find another and replace no need for tech2 or other fobs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts