SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I need help ASAP. I'm about to run to the electronics store and I need to know which is better. The version 1 or version 2 from 900aero.com for the APC mod. Also what guage wire should I use for replacing the R42 resistor?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
They'll both have the same rough effects - I would think the one where you just do resistors is probably the easiest.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thats what I was going to do. But the electronics store I went to didnt have 1.3k resistors only 1k and 1.5k. So I'll have to do more looking around.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
No matter, just use 1k ohm, you will be able to adust boost to around 1.2 bar instead of 1.5...
Daniel.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Calbob: Just a few different resistors inside the APC-unit, nothing else...
Daniel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I can go with the 1k but then I wont have all the power I should and thats going to bug me. I need a 3bar fuel pressure regulator before I can drive it with the upgraded APC, right?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Saabstory60: Just by fitting the larger resistors wont make it possible for you to run 1.5 bar of boost BY FAR! It's not just a matter of turning up the boost, you WILL get knock, and the APC will then pull boost back...
Again, as I've said before, DON'T get stuck on boost-numbers... It's not what really matters when producing power...
Daniel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, ok well then I'll just throw the 1k on and be happy. I'm about as noob as they come with boost and turbos. Still looking for an answer on the 3bar fpr there arent any on ebay, so where are people picking these up?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Am I supposed to use the .25 watt or the .5 watt? I got both, maybe it'll be obvious when I open up the APC.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
saabstory - a radioshack or similar will probably not have the "called for" resistors sold seperately - sometimes you have to spend a little extra on the multipack - I was able to find one with a 1.2kohm resistor, which allows me to adjust for all the boost I need up to the fuel cut off (which is set for 1 bar, give or take, and can't be easily bypassed without a chip on lh 2.4, which your '88 should have). According to saabdaniels post, though, even a 1kohm resistor should allow for up to 1.2 bar, which is plenty for the stock turbo. Really, once you start pushing more than the fuel-cut on the stock T3 trim, it is out of its efficiency range, so without a massive FMIC, water injection, water to air IC, etc you will actually be hurting performance by running higher boost pressure.

3 bar FPR's can be had at the junkyard, they sell for WAY too much money on ebay because people are too lazy to go to junkyards and find them themselves :lol: And only a fool would spend $60 on a new one. If you don't have a good junkyard near you, try calling a big online one like goldwing and seeing if they have any for a '85-'90 n/a 16v engine (I believe '91-'93 with the 2.1L engine had a different fuel rail and fpr, but I'm not sure).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought a 5 pack of 1k in both .25 and .5 watt for $0.99 a pack since I didnt know which wattage I need. But I'll just bring the pack I dont need back. Though the screws arent coming out of my APC, the heads are stripped so I guess I'll have to drill the head and use vice grips to get the rest out and get new screws.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts