SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1999 Saab 9-3 with 124k miles. I got caught in a bad storm and ended up driving my car through a flooded road. The water was way too deep and my car died instantly. I pushed my car out and let it dry. Now when i start my car it idles at around 600 RPM. Way too low. And sometimes itll even stall out when i first engage the clutch (i own a manual). Ive already changed my air filter because it was soaked. Does anyone know what else could be wrong with the engine? Thanks

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
your cylinders are probably full of water so your cat is now full of water too and your intercooler is probably full of water as well. You need to remove the spark plugs, and empty the water and remove the intercooler and empty all the water in it too. It's probably best to replace the spark plugs too at this point.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
^^^ absolutely change the oil NOW.

And then let the car idle for 15-20 minutes, if not more. There's probably water stuck in the intercooler, so you should probably plan on a long highway drive to get out the water.

good luck...

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
quick Q....does your car have a modified intake at all?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for all the replies. I did change the oil as soon as it happened just forgot to mention that. And i changed the spark plugs and took a look into the cylinders... no water. The problem still persists. On a side note, i bought these new E3 spark plugs because they were the only ones that Advance had that were compatible with my car. Do not buy these for your own car! My engine misfired every time my turbo started getting into the yellow so i put the old spark plugs back in. My car has the stock air intake. And just to clarify my problem, it only starts up in bad shape but once its running on the road its fine, even when idleing at red lights or whatever. I only have the problem when i first start my car up after its been sitting for a while.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
So, now the problem is narrowed down to a cold idle, which is erratic..
Check the temp sensor.
As this beast traversed several feet of water, I'd check for any connection corrosion or problem at the ECU..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts