SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well tonight and last night my buddy said that when i was under boost my drivers side tail light was flickering and tonight all my guages, espically fuel pressure as i was driving would dim a little bit and then come back. it would dim for about 2 to 6 seconds and then come back fine. the voltage, as seen through my turbo timer is going nuts, from 12.95 to 14.20, never stopping in just one place always flucuating. any ideas, i always need to rev the motor up when ever i start it to like 2k rpm to get the battery light to shut off. thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that tail light issue i have delt with many times before, its the voltage problem i want to figure out, could it be votage regulator?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
It could be the voltage regulator or alternator, but the rear light ground issue could cause the above symptoms. Everything is connected...

Bad battery would be something to look at, too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
cdaly said:
Should do. Same boot, same lights, same issues...
Someone had done that fix in the car:roll: , which hasn't solved the intermittent problem with the left rear turn signal and the main brake lights; those two ocassionally go out - not necesarily at the same time.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
quick4door said:
that tail light issue i have delt with many times before, its the voltage problem i want to figure out, could it be votage regulator?
First off, I'd suspect the alternator ground wire or the alt. B+ wire (the thick one going to the starter solenoid). Both fatigue/burn with age. Then, check the D+ wire (the very thin one) to make sure it's not broken off its terminal.

If all of these are OK, I'd check the alt. brushes next: Just unscrew the 2 fasteners holding the regulator to the back of the alt. and the brushes come off with it. If 5mm or shorter, they need replacing (see Bentley for details).

If these are OK, pull the alt. and have it bench-tested; regulator or diode pack may be bad.

Other possibilities are poor cable-to-terminal contact at the battery, or old battery cables.

Funny thing is, my own alt. just quit tonight--40 miles from home ($202 towing bill:cry: ). First thing tomorrow morning, I'll follow my own advice:roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts