SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to anyone who would know with certainty...

the dealership is telling me that there are differences, and that i can't use one. i need to replace my engine, and there are plenty of 2005 subie 2.5rs engines available, but no saab linear engines. are they full of it? is this true?

if true, does it hold true for the whole engine? what about just the shortblock, since that's all i really need anyway?

thx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Better question... Why the heck do you need a new engin for a car that can't be much more than a year old AT MOST!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
read the thread about 20k, engine rebuild.

does anyone here no the answer to my question? i kinda need help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Double_0_7 said:
to anyone who would know with certainty...

the dealership is telling me that there are differences, and that i can't use one. i need to replace my engine, and there are plenty of 2005 subie 2.5rs engines available, but no saab linear engines. are they full of it? is this true?

if true, does it hold true for the whole engine? what about just the shortblock, since that's all i really need anyway?

thx
I would wager big money that the part of the engine you need is IDENTICAL to the subaru. There's no logical reason it would not be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Every part of the engine is Subaru. It even says Subaru on it. You could buy any Subie engine and it would fit, including the STi motor (with some work).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i needed one that does more than just fit. i needed one that was a direct replacement. i needed one that Saab wouldn't have a problem with when i give the car back. i just didn't need to pay 7000 for one from them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Double_0_7 said:
i needed one that does more than just fit. i needed one that was a direct replacement. i needed one that Saab wouldn't have a problem with when i give the car back. i just didn't need to pay 7000 for one from them.
The turn-in inspection does NOT include them checking the casting numbers on the block and heads, lol. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Put an STi plant in it rather than spend $7K on a 2.5RS motor. That would make you unique, to say the least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would like to, if i was gonna keep the car...

the reason i was asking is because nobody has any used '05 saab engines, but i've been able to find a few subaru '05 engines from wrecks and such. i'm really frustrated with the car right now, to say the least, but am not so far removed that i can't remember happier times. my current thinking is to put a used engine in it, for as cheap as i can, and if i can't trust the car, then get rid of it. ASAP. I think i've found one for around 2K.

I have a little saved up. after all this problem surfaced months ago for me, and i have been planning for the worst case scenario. if i can find a cheap enough engine, and put it in myself, since i would rather invest that money in tools, and learning and time, rather than labor for some shop, then i should have enough left to negotiate something with an early turn in. who knows, if i'm nostalgic enough, i'll get an aero, but i doubt it. once bitten.....

such a shame to have this much animosity towards a car i absolutely loved in every other respect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Double_0_7 said:
i would like to, if i was gonna keep the car...

the reason i was asking is because nobody has any used '05 saab engines, but i've been able to find a few subaru '05 engines from wrecks and such. i'm really frustrated with the car right now, to say the least, but am not so far removed that i can't remember happier times. my current thinking is to put a used engine in it, for as cheap as i can, and if i can't trust the car, then get rid of it. ASAP. I think i've found one for around 2K.

I have a little saved up. after all this problem surfaced months ago for me, and i have been planning for the worst case scenario. if i can find a cheap enough engine, and put it in myself, since i would rather invest that money in tools, and learning and time, rather than labor for some shop, then i should have enough left to negotiate something with an early turn in. who knows, if i'm nostalgic enough, i'll get an aero, but i doubt it. once bitten.....

such a shame to have this much animosity towards a car i absolutely loved in every other respect.
FWIW, Saab only does two types of earlier turn-ins - Pay it off and keep the car (at the current payoff) or pay all remaining payments AND an early termination fee. Neither of these would be near of benefit to you, so I'd make sure the install goes well and the engine is reliable. Saab, like GM, does not negotiate turn-ins.

I do wonder why you have animosity for it, though, seeing as you are the one having to replace the engine - this would indicate it's not a warranty claim, so something was done by you to prevent it from being warranted. How does that anger you? Just wondering, don't flame me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have never, EVER, heard of an engine needing to be replaced at 15,000 miles of all highway, no traffic miles. even with zero oil changes, and i had two. i've had countless mechanics tell me this too. i owned two cars before this, and neither one was all that well taken care of, and one made it to 45,000 with no trouble, and the other made it to 85,000 with no trouble. i do know it's technically my fault, but especially since other cases are popping up, i don't think this is completely my fault. throw that in with a VERY negative dealer shop experience for it including lies to my face(even though the sales and 90 percent of the shop staff are top notch) and at the very least i have a negative taste in my mouth.

edit: and it's not really ever in my style to flame people. i hate it when that happens to me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Double_0_7 said:
i have never, EVER, heard of an engine needing to be replaced at 15,000 miles of all highway, no traffic miles. even with zero oil changes, and i had two. i've had countless mechanics tell me this too. i owned two cars before this, and neither one was all that well taken care of, and one made it to 45,000 with no trouble, and the other made it to 85,000 with no trouble. i do know it's technically my fault, but especially since other cases are popping up, i don't think this is completely my fault. throw that in with a VERY negative dealer shop experience for it including lies to my face(even though the sales and 90 percent of the shop staff are top notch) and at the very least i have a negative taste in my mouth.

edit: and it's not really ever in my style to flame people. i hate it when that happens to me...
Well, all I'm going to say is to change the oil for the first time at 15,000 miles on a Subaru turbo, +10psi engine is a mistake. Had you missed it by a thousand or so miles, big deal, but the first change is the most important change - how did you get that far past the first oil change? That said, I'd really press the issue with SAAB and the BBB, get them involved because they may come to a resolution you might be satisfied with.

FWIW, the other cases I have seen here and on the other boards look almost all to be oil change related (missed oil changes).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Oil very important

I agree changing the oil within the first 3000mi is very important. After that I would go with an extended drain oil like Amsoil or Mobil. With Amsoil you an go 25000 or 1 year if you use their special oil filters. They even have an oil that goes 35000 or 1 year. It is a series 2000 oil. Mobil has a new oil 3 types for up to I believe 7500 miles. The only diffrence is that Amsoil gaurantees the use of their oil like they recommend, where Mobil might say 7500 miles but they do not stand behind the product like Amsoil. Which tells me that Amsoil must be better. I use the Amsoil brand with excellent results. I just changed the oil in my 92X Aero with Amsoil 10W-30 Turbo synthetic, and I have got a 1.5 mpg increase in efficiency, plus the engine is more quiet, oil temperature cooler by 8 deg F. I got the upgraded instrument package on my Saab. I was totally amazed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
miscreant said:
Well, all I'm going to say is to change the oil for the first time at 15,000 miles on a Subaru turbo, +10psi engine is a mistake. Had you missed it by a thousand or so miles, big deal, but the first change is the most important change - how did you get that far past the first oil change? That said, I'd really press the issue with SAAB and the BBB, get them involved because they may come to a resolution you might be satisfied with.

FWIW, the other cases I have seen here and on the other boards look almost all to be oil change related (missed oil changes).
i don't have a turbo, and back in may i spent as much as 3hrs a day on the phone with saab service for a whole week, and all i got was a high cell phone bill.

Update for today(not that anybody cares): i found a used engine for just over $2000 out of an '05 subaru impreza...once it gets here, i'm gonna try my hand at my first engine install. the engine i bought has an unlimited mile 6 month warranty, and i'm gonna try my hardest to save enough to pay off the rest of the lease and turn the car in by then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Double_0_7 said:
Update for today(not that anybody cares): i found a used engine for just over $2000 out of an '05 subaru impreza...once it gets here, i'm gonna try my hand at my first engine install. the engine i bought has an unlimited mile 6 month warranty, and i'm gonna try my hardest to save enough to pay off the rest of the lease and turn the car in by then.
Good to hear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Pilotin66 said:
I agree changing the oil within the first 3000mi is very important. After that I would go with an extended drain oil like Amsoil or Mobil. With Amsoil you an go 25000 or 1 year if you use their special oil filters. They even have an oil that goes 35000 or 1 year. It is a series 2000 oil. Mobil has a new oil 3 types for up to I believe 7500 miles. The only diffrence is that Amsoil gaurantees the use of their oil like they recommend, where Mobil might say 7500 miles but they do not stand behind the product like Amsoil. Which tells me that Amsoil must be better. I use the Amsoil brand with excellent results. I just changed the oil in my 92X Aero with Amsoil 10W-30 Turbo synthetic, and I have got a 1.5 mpg increase in efficiency, plus the engine is more quiet, oil temperature cooler by 8 deg F. I got the upgraded instrument package on my Saab. I was totally amazed.
Where I can I pickup some Amsoil? Autozone, Kragen, Napa, Online store???

Thanks,

Rudi
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top