SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going crazy trying to figure this one out, I did an engine rebuild last summer and ever since then I've had this bad sounding clunk whenever going over bumps at low speeds. I think it's more audible from the driver side.

It might be easiest to explain if I enter a timeline of things I've done:

Jan 2019:
  • Taliaferro poly sub-frame bushing kit (outer control arm bushings, inner lateral arm to subframe, outer sway bar bushings)
  • Koni sport dampers front and rear (yellow)
  • New strut mounts (ÜRO)
  • Eibach lowering springs
  • Sway bar end links

July 2020:
- Taliaferro sport transmission and engine mounts (poly, hard option)
Started noticing the low-speed clunk after these were put in

This year:
  • Lower control arms (new ball joints)
  • Sub-frame sway bar bushings
  • Tie rods, inner and outer

I ensured that everything was torqued to spec per Platonof and what All-data have listed, the rear stanchion arms to the subframe each got a new washer as well. I have new bolts installed in the middle subframe location, old bolts are still used for the stanchion to subframe and control arm to subframe connections. My hope is that the Taliaferro sport mounts are just noisy, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything possibly dangerous.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
This could be a coincidence but anyway:-

My 1997 9000 Aero had a gentle clunk from the front right side when I bought it and its hardly changed over the last 10K miles or so. I notice it on big steering inputs, not so much on bumps, and if the front of the car is on uneven ground (vs the back) I can cause the clunk simply by turning the wheel.

My tech thinks there's something moving about within the front strut. I've had all the poly bushes replaced by rubber, and the lowered springs replaced by original Aero springs.

What's the common factor? IT HAS THE DREADED YELLOW KONI ADJUSTABLES!

The rubber bushes and proper springs have softened it up to the point that it's tolerable to me for the small mileage it does, so I haven't gone for softer dampers.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
This probably means nothing, but the only time I have ever had the type of clunk you describe it's always ended up being the sway bar. Not just on Saabs, on every car. Usually with the end links, but not exclusively.

Is it possible the exhaust is making contact with the subframe brace etc.?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take another look at the sway bar end links, they're only a couple years old but it really sounds like what he's describing in this video:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts