SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 NG900.

Ok, so I made a really dumb mistake, and lost my keys down at the lake last weekend at our condo (yes, there was beer involved). I cant get back down there until next weekend to look for themif I dont have anotehr option...

Anyway, the alarm is armed, and the car is sitting in our shop. I have another key, and fob - but heres the crapper - for some reason, the other fob i have doesnt seem to work at all anymore with the alarm. The remote has brand new batteries in it, and the led's on the fob light up. It wont disengage the alarm, nor trunk.

Is there any reason why the remote woudlve dropped its programming (or however these remotes work)?? The reason I started using the other set of keys was just the fact that the old remote (that I used daily for years) suddenly just stopped working. It didnt get wet, and its not corroded.

Whats my worst case scenario here? What IF I cant find my other set of keys AND what if I cant get this other remote to work on the car? Has anyone had any trouble with this before - chance of repairing the remote? anyone?? please??

· Registered
1,466 Posts
If the fob you have was tied to you car originally, hitting the unlock button 5 times consecutively on the fob should re-sync it with the car, and unlock it. You need to do this anytime the batteries on a fob are taken out or go dead.

· Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didnt know that!!! (obviously) ;oops:

yes, both remotes came with the car from the get-go.

I just changed the batteries in both remotes. And I didnt re-sync either of them - though when I changed the batteries on the other remote, it worked just fine without re-syncing. But I will certainly try this when I get to the car today. If you just saved my ***, I owe you a huge thank you..

· Registered
122 Posts
I love when little tidbits of information arise like this.. information that will randomly help lots of angry-at-my-fob people that happen to see this post. (I think the thread should be retitled "intermittent fob" or something to reel in the right lurkers.) I just fixed my intermittent fob a minute ago because of this.. I knew the battery wasn't making contact all the time, but didn't understand why, when it did start blinking that green light, it still wouldn't work some of the time. Now I know.. it was waiting for that elusive 5 clicks in a row where the battery contacts actually contacted the battery, which was really rare. But it all makes sense now.

I would recommend to coreyeroc to crack open the fob, remove the batteries, and bend the leaf spring and the round spring in towards the batteries to reestablish a firm contact. That's what I just did.. it'll prevent random resetting and resyncing. Can't wait to hear from back from him about this.

· Registered
7,874 Posts
The fob can also be fixed if working intermittantly
http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/remote/page1.html

The bypass is easy to do but will leave the car vulnerable to thieves that may want to steal it but it's not like an NG900 is that desirable to thieves.

Corey, PM me if you want to bypass the alarm. I'll send you a how to.

On a side not, I won't respond to anybody's requests to send the bypass info unless I know them well on this forum or in person so please don't ask me otherwise :cheesy:

· Registered
1,466 Posts
Great link hkayssi - I will be doing that once I get home. I am nearly positive thats what my fob needs.

I dont think a soldering iron would go over well in the office.

Best of luck coreyeroc!

· Registered
175 Posts
Wait, are the lights on the fob supposed to light up and stay lit while you hold it? Or are they supposed to blink quickly while you hold it?

Mine blink but in that link it looks like the light is just on (I know I know, its a picture obviously it wont be blinking in a picture but it just seems on!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.