SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys can anyone lead me to the quietest resonator or muffler i can stick in my exhaust system. i dont know if price makes a difference, and i dont know what is the quietest, but i just need something to get my exhaust as quiet as possible. length I am not concerned about right now, but 16 inches would be perfect.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
hey guys can anyone lead me to the quietest resonator or muffler i can stick in my exhaust system. i dont know if price makes a difference, and i dont know what is the quietest, but i just need something to get my exhaust as quiet as possible. length I am not concerned about right now, but 16 inches would be perfect.
If you want the quietest resonator then you need more than 16". Plus it depends what you have on the car. Aftermarket mufflers? I bought a flowmaster hushpower 18" to quiet my magnaflow mufflers. The mufflers still overpowered the resonator since they are so loud. So then I bought a 31" magnaflow resonator. It definitely quieted the exhaust down but those mufflers are freaking loud. It's not like one brand of 16" will be that much quieter than another 16". Maybe slightly but the ability to quiet the exhaust is usually based on the length. I have the hushpower sitting in my basement now if you'd like to try that. It's a 2.5in/out 18". They go for $130 or so online so I'd sell it off for $100 plus shipping if you wanted it.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have full jt 3in system with no resinator. and i know size plays a part, but they all use some different style of sound deading and i dident know if any of them were different in how much quieter they could get.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Well thats a good thought. I'm not sure if glass would be quieter than baffled or vice versa but I can't imagine it would be much different. Plus, glass would eventually get louder again anyways. I went with the hushpower originally because another guy used it on his car and liked its ability. I liked the sound of the exhaust with it but WOT was way too loud for me (cops around here won't like loud).

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thats a good thought. I'm not sure if glass would be quieter than baffled or vice versa but I can't imagine it would be much different. Plus, glass would eventually get louder again anyways. I went with the hushpower originally because another guy used it on his car and liked its ability. I liked the sound of the exhaust with it but WOT was way too loud for me (cops around here won't like loud).
yeah i was given a warning the other day and theres one cop who keeps eyeballing my car hes passed me 3 times. i just need it to get quieter it is not too bad its just accelerating bogging loud and when im cruising its not noticeable also at idle.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Yeah unfortunately with exhaust you sometimes have to play with the components to get the sound you're looking for. I hate that I had to spend money on two different resonators. I may even spend more to use one of the mufflers with a ypipe after it to make it quieter. It's tough but sometimes has to be done when doing new exhaust on a car that hasn't had one yet. My cruising sound and idle is perfect. It's only opening the throttle, and yeah I do get looks from the 5.0 sometimes too.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah unfortunately with exhaust you sometimes have to play with the components to get the sound you're looking for. I hate that I had to spend money on two different resonators. I may even spend more to use one of the mufflers with a ypipe after it to make it quieter. It's tough but sometimes has to be done when doing new exhaust on a car that hasn't had one yet. My cruising sound and idle is perfect. It's only opening the throttle, and yeah I do get looks from the 5.0 sometimes too.
yeah i get absolutly no drone when i idle or cruse but its just accelerating thats amazingly loud. well ill be making a decision this weekend thanks for the input looks like i might be going magnaflow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts