SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I screwed up:(? I replaced the Head Gasket on my 1996 2.3l 900S Convertible, non-turbo. After reassembling the engine and filling with coolant it started fine. I ran it for several minutes checking for leaks etc. and all seemed OK. I stepped on the accelerator a few times everything is good, but I got no indication on the water temp guage? Well after that things went to [email protected]##. I heard some noise from the engine "metallic" and it quit would not restart. After looking into it I discovered that the cam sprocket on the exhaust cam had spun out of position about 90deg;oops:. So now I assume I have a bent or broken valve, I will be removing the head again tonight. My question is what heads will fit this engine? I have all kinds of help from the junkyards but none of it seems to agree with the other. I would like to just buy a replacement head if thats what I need and rebuild mine at leasure, (top down season is here!!)

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Any 900 from 94-98, and 9000 from 94-98 any 9-3 from 99-02 any 9-5 from 99 to 09.

Note you may need to read up on using a T7 head. They will flow better, but you may need to use the intake manifold as well.

Obviosly re use the cams from your car since turbo and T7 cams are diff.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information I do appreciate it. Yes it appears there was a problem with the torque or location of the sprocket when torqued. Just paying for being in a rush.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i have 3 spare heads pm me

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Whats the torque on the sprockets supposed to be ? Anyone know ?
47ftlbs.. Hold the cam with 18m open end when you tighten the 14mm head bolt ;)

I blow the holes and bolts off with brake clean to degrease them and then some blue removable loctite.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I must agree blue loctite is a must around these parts...actually i started to put it on every screw,nut,bolt :)..it just feels better knowing that it is there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts