SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to check out a '01 9-5 with 120k this coming saturday. Its a private seller, and he has all the maintenance records, is asking $5900.

Is that a fair price, or could i get him to go a little lower?

:)

·
Registered
516 Posts
LPT, V6, or Aero? Other options?

seems reasonable, but you can always try to knock a few hundred off. I recently bought an '02 Linear (LPT) Sportwagon with almost 140k mi, fully dealer-serviced, for $7000, including tax, title, and doc from a dealer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zef95 said:
LPT, V6, or Aero? Other options?

seems reasonable, but you can always try to knock a few hundred off. I recently bought an '02 Linear (LPT) Sportwagon with almost 140k mi, fully dealer-serviced, for $7000, including tax, title, and doc from a dealer.
Its a four-cylinder automatic, over the last year he put $3000 worth of repairs and maintenance into it.

Thats really it, i suppose i'll know more when i see it.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
makingwaves said:
Its a four-cylinder automatic, over the last year he put $3000 worth of repairs and maintenance into it.

Thats really it, i suppose i'll know more when i see it.

Aero or lpt, the Aero will command a higher resale value.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
COstly repairs bills (depending on what they are) can be a sign of neglect.

"rebuilt engine" "new paints" "new trans" are IMO major non-selling points. I have had better lucky with well maintained low repair cost cars.

The price seems reasonable. Check out the FAQ's at the top of the forum to speed up the answers to the questions you might need to know or want answers too.

Best of luck and keep up posted with info and pictures.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
woywitka said:

"rebuilt engine" "new paints" "new trans" are IMO major non-selling points. I have had better lucky with well maintained low repair cost cars.
Thanks! I never thought about that so ill keep that in mind.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
woywitka said:

May I dissagree? :confused:

Anything a dealer does to a Saab is hugely costly.

Saab has built into the 9-5 a massive flaw (read as time bomb) with the PCV system and the service intervals combined with the semi synth oil specified on the LPT's - so if a big bill hasnt already happened Id be worried that I would be picking it up.

Having read these forums for several years if I was offered a 9-5 that had seemingly never gone spectacularly wrong I'd be saying "when will it" :eek:

So someone having thrown cash at the car is in my mind a good thing, and quite often people then sell up after a big wallet bashing thinking "oh god it's a money pit"

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris 9-5 said:

Saab has built into the 9-5 a massive flaw (read as time bomb) with the PCV system and the service intervals combined with the semi synth oil specified on the LPT's - so if a big bill hasnt already happened Id be worried that I would be picking it up.

Having read these forums for several years if I was offered a 9-5 that had seemingly never gone spectacularly wrong I'd be saying "when will it" :eek:

So someone having thrown cash at the car is in my mind a good thing, and quite often people then sell up after a big wallet bashing thinking "oh god it's a money pit"
Ha, you're right too. My family has had saabs for as long as i can remember... then my mother went and bought a nissan ;oops: . The seller said that so far the gas tank has been replaced because of a leak and other regular scheduled maintenance, i'm waiting on an e-mail from him containing all the major work he has done. I do expect that he will have put alot of money into the car, and i expect to do the same. :p

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:

Which is why I said "can be"

Often times the "rebuilt trans" "new engine" and "new paint" are performed by some shoddy shop prior to sale. WHo really knows what was "rebuilt" or "replaced".

Yes I agree that new turbos, headgakets, and radiators can create large repair bills at dealers and are not always a sign of big concern. Use ones common sense.

I thought it was more or less common knowledge to watch out for cars with many large repairs on major parts. I prefer cars that run very well on thier original parts with reasonable clicks, and a good service history.

A 9-5 might have ups and downs. But the car should not be eating major parts at 6 years old if it was correctly cared for.

IME I found lots of 9-5s with HUGE repair bills, most often these cars had incomplete service history. My car has one larger repair (throttle body) despite 2X the milelage of many cars I looked at before with more major repairs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts