1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am thinking about buying a used Saab.
Here's some questions I got.
For 9-3 owners, what kinds of problems you had with your car? Is there any major defects?
And what about the maintenance and repair costs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own 2003 9-3 and bought it when it had 88xxx miles and i'm on 118xxx right now. So far so good, i love it, but when it comes to repairs nobody likes it. Dealership charges you a lot but there are lot of things you can DIY. So far I had following problems since I own my Saab:

Secondary Air Injection pump failed - $900 at dealership, $300 for the pump if DIY
Xenon headlight burned out - $120 per 1 OEM, but you can find for $25 without telling a difference!
Headlight leveling unit failed - one dealership wanted to charge me $165 just for connecting TECH II))...took fuses out - no more problem, but no leveling either.

You can do brakes, oil changes, belt, spark plugs, xenon headlights,etc - all by yourself, very easy with help of SaabCentral))

In general - Nice car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My 2003 has 185k and runs great. My first real problem (over normal wear) just happened and it was the amp1 under the drivers seat. Dealer was gonna cost $1500 or so, but I got mine for $300 and I am doing it myself. Per oil change you pay more but it lasts 10k. So it evens out. Plugs, filters, sensors, brakes, ect... can all be done by yourself with a little help from these great people. I got my Saab with 56k so I don't know what all the previous owner did other than what the dealer had on their data base (all recall and warranty issues) but I know they did take it to Saab for all the routine work. Which I have kept up religiously as well. Chances are if you are looking at one that is a few years old with a few miles, all the issues will have already been worked out.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I own a 2005 and have had very few problems. My foglight burnt out and had to be replaced, cost me $100. A common problem in the cars is with the fuel level sender. The gauge will either read empty or full at any time no matter how much gas is in the tank. I called Saab and they quoted me $800 for the fix. I found the part online for $65 and got the work done by a mechanic in town for $180. Very few problems with the car its a very nice car. Raced a souped up 80 something Camaro today and blew it away as well as the owner when we stopped at the next set of lights to chat; you'll love the turbo! Hopefully this helps.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I love my 2005 but I'd suggest getting an 06 or 07 as the four cyl has 210 hp while 04 and 05 have 175.. a $1000 tune to get an 05 to 06 specs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love my 2005 but I'd suggest getting an 06 or 07 as the four cyl has 210 hp while 04 and 05 have 175.. a $1000 tune to get an 05 to 06 specs.
the 175 hp engine was available in 2003-2005 on the Linear only (the Arc, Vector have) the 210 hp used in the 2.0T through 2009. The 175 hp engine is commonly called the 2.0t.

I would recommend a 2004 and up 9-3. They fixed a lot of initial problems from the 2003 year in the 2004 and you can find 2004-2005's for pretty cheap nowadays.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I too am in the market for a 2006 9-3. Black with grey leather - 50k miles. asking $11,000. Good deal or not?
I'm not sure how your market is, but sounds like a fair price to me (provided everything is ship shape with the car). As always, I would start a few grand under the asking price and go from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts