SaabCentral Forums banner

Need advice on replacement rear deck speakers

7K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  YoungGod257 
#1 ·
I've got an '06 9-5 Sport without Navigation. One of my rear deck speakers is blown, and I'd like to replace it with a direct fit - which I belive are 6x9's.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

I've searched on here, but I don't know the differences in the sizes and years to base a purchase on the previous posts I've read. Also, I don't know if the 9-3 and 9-5 have the same OHM and size speakers in the deck. Thanks

#4 ·
paper cones aren't all that bad, but the paper surrounds are junk.

If all that is wrong with your speakers is the surrounds torn then I'd put new surrounds on them.

you can buy them lots of places, I got mine here:

http://www.speakerworks.com/6_by_9_inch_speaker_repair_kit_p/swk69a.htm

If you smoked the voice coil this won't help you, but the vast majority of speaker failures are surround rips/tears

#8 ·
paper cones aren't all that bad, but the paper surrounds are junk.

If all that is wrong with your speakers is the surrounds torn then I'd put new surrounds on them.

you can buy them lots of places, I got mine here:

http://www.speakerworks.com/6_by_9_inch_speaker_repair_kit_p/swk69a.htm

If you smoked the voice coil this won't help you, but the vast majority of speaker failures are surround rips/tears
Was it hard to do the swap? I look at mine today, and I noticed the outer edge of where the paper surround sits is very narrow, seems like it would be difficult to glue anything to there. I take it the speaker works just fine with the foam surround as opposed to the paper one?

#5 ·
Thanks for both suggestions. I thought about repairing the speaker, but buying a used one is much less work and only $30 more.

However, I do like the idea of upgrading them while I'm back there.
I see that most upgrade them with 2 and 3 way speakers, so they are no longer just subs. How does this work out with the sound clarity and balance?

If I don't go with the stock speaker, I've seen a recommendation on here for both of these. Maybe an upgrade is the way to go, since I might keep the 9-5 a while.

- Infinity Kappa 6929i 2 way

- Infinity Reference 9632cf 2 way

#6 ·
if you put a 2-way or 3-way speaker in the back, the extra stuff is just added weight. There is a crossover in the amp that filters out all but the bass that goes to those speakers.

When my son fried the VC's in his rear deck speakers I bought a used set of pioneer 6x9 speakers on line that had blown tweeters in them and just took the tweeters off. They're 4-ohm loads and not the 2-ohm loads that the amp expects so they're not quite as loud but other than that they fit and work fine

#7 ·
if you put a 2-way or 3-way speaker in the back, the extra stuff is just added weight. There is a crossover in the amp that filters out all but the bass that goes to those speakers.

When my son fried the VC's in his rear deck speakers I bought a used set of pioneer 6x9 speakers on line that had blown tweeters in them and just took the tweeters off. They're 4-ohm loads and not the 2-ohm loads that the amp expects so they're not quite as loud but other than that they fit and work fine
Thanks

#15 ·
I'm running these JBL's. Absolutely love the sound quality.

#18 ·
I never did a wiring video since I just used the existing wiring. The amp sends only bass to the rear, that's all. It sounds like you have 4 ohm speakers which are less sensitive than the factory 2 ohm or whatever weird ohm they were so the volume won't be as loud since 4 ohms isn't as sensitive to the signal input. The JBL speakers I got are 2.4 ohms if I recall correctly so they're close enough to the factory rear deck speakers, just with much tighter bass control.

#20 ·
I don't think there's a point in doing that. You won't have the wattage to drive the speakers properly since you'll be bypassing the amp and the head unit only does 25 watts which are already used by the rear door and dash speakers. There's nothing wrong with having just bass coming out. My JBLs are 2 way speakers. The crossover is built into the speaker, the tweeters won't activate because the frequency isn't there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.