SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 96 900 turbo convertable with 110,000 miles.No rust. Starts runs and drives fine. 5 spd. shifts smoothly.Int looks good with avarage ware.SID is perfect. Top is new but the rear window was not instaled right. It has cross drilled rotors frnt.and rear. Now the bad.It has a salvage or rebuilt title,Looks like it had a light front end wreck. The first 6" of hood and front fenders look like they were repainted badly.front bumper is not right , lights are out of wack. Passengers door wont unlock. You try to unlock it and it just relocks it self. Two of the tiers are bald.It has the three spoke wheels.
I do all my own work on my SAABs, so I can fix anything that comes my way.I can buy it for $1400. What do you think? I have only had two turbos, both 86's.Was'nt realy looking for another car right now. but I do need to spend about $500 on my 91s with 280k on the clock.And I could sell the Whale tale alone for $500. Need a push one way or another.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
My 2 cents: (2p?)

Salvage titles scare me. Especially when things were not repaired correctly. For what it would cost to fix the front end and give it a re-spray you could have yourself a nice ng900 with a clean title.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Gurn,

The "SALVAGE" title means that the car was considered a total loss at one time.
The person was paid what ever the full value was for the car minus what ever deductable they had if any or the person did not receive any money for the car because the insurance company found them at fault, or they just plain did not have any full coverage on the car.
All in all the car was smashed in the front and considered a total loss, the damage to repair the vehicle exceeded the value of the car.
I had a neighbor that this happened to years ago. His car got clipped in front of his house. He got paid for the vehicle and then was trying to dump it for more money... that may be the case here !!!!
Good luck with you decision... If it were me I would walk away from it for $1400. But that is just my opinion of what I would do.
Tell him/she you know what is up with the title and see if you can work out a much better price and go from there.
If you can pick it up for around $1100 - $1000 I would say you did pretty good. If you make the deal and before you give any money.
*****CHECK WITH THE REGISTRY AND SEE IF YOU WILL BE ABLE TO LEGALLY REGISTER AND INSURE THE CAR WITH THE TITLE THE WAY IT IS STATED !!!! THERE ARE WAY'S AROUND ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS ...YOU WILL NEED TO FILE FOR REGISTRATION USING A CERTAIN FORM. ( I FORGOT WHAT THAT FORM IS CALLED )
I AM REALLY CURIOUS ABOUT THE INSURANCE...
I AM PRETTY SURE YOU WILL JUST BE ABLE TO GET ENOUGH INSURANCE TO LEGALLY HAVE IT ON THE ROAD*****

Rick

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Is it silver? it had rear end damage too under the rear licence plate?
That one was damaged pretty heavily.

Body damage that causes the car to have a salvage title doesn't really have to be severe. A 96 isn't that valuable. It doesn't take much damage to declare an old ca salvage.

That being said, the car has to be inspected. If the guy did such a crappy job like you describe it, it shouldn't be able to get registered with a rebuilt title so be carefull. Is the car presently registered.

One other important factor is that the car is a convertible. That car has a soft top, it doesn't take much to warp the frame badly. The soft top won't prevent the body from warping because of the accident ;)

Just my $0.02 :cheesy:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I'd keep the old '91, it is a real Saab, you know what you have...

But all this is debatable; the newer ones DO have a better transmission, may ride and handle a bit better...

Do you mean to say that someone may pay $ 500 for a 900 classic whale tale ????
Buying and selling used cars is a crapshoot; we have been fortuniate, we also "buy" the PO(previous owner), if he passes inspection, then the sale is easy...but in the short term, the price is not a bargain..
Bargains can be too costly..Please don't ask how I know:cheesy:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, thats kinda what I thought. Sometimes you just need to be set straight. Plus after looking at what some have gone for on Ebay its not a good deal. I may offer him $500 in a few weeks if he still has it. On the whale tale, I saw one go for over $600 on Ebay.I did'nt think my whole car was worth that much!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
as long as it wasn't cobbled together...maybe you can find out who repaired it and their reputation..then it would certainly be worth it. At that price level it is just reliable transportation. And Salvage shouldn't make it worth too much less...and not to mentionthe parts are worth well over 1600. a grand woud be more than a steal. we'vr sold many salvage vehicles and had customers come back. We've sold our salvage vehicles to the pickiest of customers. And we've had regular repeat customers come aks ask for a car, saying they don't care if it is salvage or not, they want the car, considering many clean title cars will be on the road illrepaired. and no matter the damage level, as long as it was properly repaired it is fine. If it was beyond belief, maybe it shouldn't have been repaired, but that's up to the experienced insurance and auto-body people to decide, to each their own respective scenarios for decision. There is such a negative and yet false stigma out there about salvage. People do not realize how many cars are out there with clean titles that have been severely wrecked, but due to high value at the time, they were repaired. Not to mention the amount that were wrecked pretty bad but bought directly from the unsettled owner or the insurance company and never had the accident on the record. Unfortunately this is the case many-a-times and if the person selling you the car isn't honest you may never know.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
You're comparing apples and oranges.

The guy said the car was repaired and the bumper doesn't look right, the lights are crooked and repainted badly which means it wasn't repaired by a professional. That is a problem by itself if it was declared salvage. The fact it has a salvage tiltle means it needs to be registered to get a rebuilt title. A badly repaired car may not pass an inspection. And I disagree with you on the fact that the salvage title doesn't take much off the car's value because that depends on the quality of the repairs done to it as well as the level of the damage the car sustained in the first place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts