SaabCentral Forums banner

Need Advice for front spoiler damage

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jnorton1 
#1 ·
What's the best way to repair a slight crack to a front end spoiler on a 2007 9-3 Aero? I can't believe it....the car's only a month old and I ran over something on the freeway this morning causing a slight crack on the very bottom. Am I better off going to the dealer or a body shop? Is it even repairable or is this something that they'll have to replace? Thanks all.

Bummer.....

#2 ·
Real bummer--at least you didn't do it yourself like most of us have;oops:

Do a search as this has been talked about quite a bit.

#3 ·
Read this:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105079&highlight=polypropylene+stiffener

That's the best way to repair it. I have cracks in my front spoiler. I chose to prevent them from propagating, rather than attempt the textbook repair. I used aluminum J-channel and stainless fasteners to reinforce the cracked areas. My longest crack is probably two inches. Been stable for 4 years now. The fact that my wife has avoided concrete parking blocks with protruding rebar has also been a factor.

#4 ·
Boy do i know how you feel. I hit a large piece of aluminum with my 2007 about a month ago. I scraped the same area as you and ripped out the front 1/2 of the left front plastic fenderwell liner. Fortunately, all the paint damage buffed out with finishing compound quite easily (I was impressed with the durability of the paint on the 9-3, If it were my Volvo, I would have been seeing sheet metal b/c crappy paint).

The front skirt is separate from the front bumper. You have to remove the front bumper to install, but it doesn't look too hard from reading on my WIS DVD. The cost is about $250 for the skirt, plus painting at a body shop. Thesaabsite.com will paint it for you before shipping if you give them your paint code (for a fee, of course).

My damage was mostly underneath, so I'm just leaving it b/c I'm sure I'll eventually scrape it again on a parking barrier. You can't see the scrapes unless you lay down in front of the car. I replaced the inner fenderwell which was only $40.

Actually, part of me thinks I hit it b/c I couldnt see it. I think the headlights in the 9-3 (stock halogens) are really weak.

#5 ·
One week after getting mine a let a friend drive it and they pulled up next to a curb scraping the the side of the front spoiler. It is all scraped up underneath as well and has a few cracks. I was going to repair it but decided Ill just touch it up b/c it is inevitable, Ill replace it when it is bad enough to make the car look like crap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.