SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks, I washed my key fob for my 9-5 and need a replacement, any idea where the best place to buy one? my understanding is I will not need a tech 2 to program the key to the car, am I correct. I do have a second key but do not feel comfortable with having just one key fob for obvious reasons.TIA

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
hey folks, I washed my key fob for my 9-5 and need a replacement, any idea where the best place to buy one? my understanding is I will not need a tech 2 to program the key to the car, am I correct. I do have a second key but do not feel comfortable with having just one key fob for obvious reasons.TIA
Here you go:
https://www.esaabparts.com/keys/

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
You need TECH2 to add keys.
NG 9-5 does not use the Tech 2... The global Epsilon 2 platform switched to the GM Multi Diagnostic Interface (MDI). And you don’t even need the MDI to add a key:

Subject: Manual Key Fob Learn Method

Models:
2010 - 2011 Saab 9-5
2011 - 2012 Saab 9-4x

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

CONDITION/CONCERN:

A customer or dealer may need to learn a new key fob to a 2010 Saab 9-5 and not have access to TIS2WEB or the tools are in use on another vehicle. The following manual learn method can be used to add a new FOB to the car in this situation. This method DOES NOT invalidate old FOBs, so any FOBs that may have been lost or stolen will still operate the car.

RECOMMENDATION/INSTRUCTIONS:

Note:
•To initiate, this procedure requires that 1 learned key be available.
• A total of 8 keys may be learned to a single vehicle.
• This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.
• The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.

1. Place the recognized key(s) in the vehicle cup holder.

2. Insert the mechanical key of the new transmitter into the key lock cylinder located on the outside of the driver door and turn the key to the unlock position five times within ten seconds. The Driver Information Center (DIC) will display Ready For Remote #2, 3, 4 or 5.
Note: The key pocket is located inside the center console storage area next to the cup holder. The fob needs to be fully inserted into the pocket. If a large key ring or other obstruction prevents the fob from being fully inserted into the pocket it must be removed. Failure to position the key fully into the pocket will result in an inability to program.

3. Place the new key into the key pocket.

4. Press the ignition mode switch. When the key is learned the DIC will indicate that it is ready to program the next key.

5. Remove the key from the key pocket and press the unlock button. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 3 through 5.

6. When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold the ignition mode switch for 5 seconds to exit programming mode.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I tried to get my new key fob to work and now I think I have a car that will not start at all, I went through the directions and it said it was in the middle of programming and then nothing, I tried the other remote and as of 2 minutes ago that one would not work and of course I did this with my car blocking 2 others in my driveway.
So here are my questions
when I put the learned key fob in the vehicle cup holder is it silver side down or black side down, it did not seem to fit better either way
When I use the key from the new remote to unlock the car 5 times am I just turning to the left 5 times in 10 seconds or do I have to lock it and unlock it
And lastly, how do I get the: good remote to work again, I am hoping to wait 15 minutes will do it ( the good remote will unlock and lock the car, pop the trunk but will not start the car)

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
Fob would go in head-first, so black side down. Silver side just holds the emergency key blade.

I’ve never had to do the procedure, so unfortunately the instructions I’ve posted are the extent of my understanding...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok update, my old key did start so I am not up the creek but would still like to be able to get the key I bought from euro parts working.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks will try again and report back

Fob would go in head-first, so black side down. Silver side just holds the emergency key blade.

I’ve never had to do the procedure, so unfortunately the instructions I’ve posted are the extent of my understanding...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts