SaabCentral Forums banner

need a real professional tuner are there any out there

1219 Views 58 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Joshinator99
i live in ct mass area are there any reputable tuners that actualy know and care what they are doing money is no issue i dont care how much it cost i just want what i want i dont want to send it off for a tune. i want to drive to them sit there with them while they tune it test drive it and see right then and there if its good or needs changes. its a pretty basic setup that most saabers have so i dont see it being that complicated of an issue. so if anyone at all knows anyone at that does real saab tuning please let me know i wanna know what this guy did to my car please and thanks
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and no dont say mike d not interested in dealing with him to prissy for me im the kind of guy thats going to ask a thousand question and rightly so its my car your messing with and i want to know what does what and what changes when you do it.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
im the kind of guy thats going to ask a thousand question and rightly so its my car your messing with and i want to know what does what and what changes when you do it.
This is fair...if you pay their labor rate while they're listening to & answering those thousand questions. FWIW I would expect most ppl to have at least a x2 'adjustment' on their rate for ongoing antagonizing human interaction to make it worth their while.

· Registered
233 Posts
Don't hate, but I have an OTS Stage 3 ECU from SaabTunerScott in the mail to me right now, I'll report back. You have more mods than I do, but at least worth reaching out? Saab tuning is pretty limited stateside.

· Registered
194 Posts
Don't hate, but I have an OTS Stage 3 ECU from SaabTunerScott in the mail to me right now, I'll report back. You have more mods than I do, but at least worth reaching out? Saab tuning is pretty limited stateside.

I have a tune from SaabTunerScott on my 04 Arc. Tune calls for 282hp and 316 lb. tq. and I can feel all of it :)

· Registered
03 vert se-sports pkg, 01 viggen vert
1,181 Posts
I have a stage one tune from saab tuner Scott. I'm sure it's just a basic tune but I haven't had any issues yet at least to my knowledge. I did email him once asking a technical question and never got a response

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no i talked to him he siad he would do it and months and months and months went by and finaly he said im not interested in doing it so whatever just a waste of time plus multiple people told me he is very selective in what he does and if he doesnt like what your setup is he just not interested idk idc doesnt matter now just going to have maptune do my work from now on.

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
in the northeast where i am i havent found anyone that can do the tuning i want i just want a clean tune for 450 hp thats it i have all the applicable hardware required for the tune so i dont see the issue besdies theyre just not around here and was told by many tuners that do do that level want to be in the car with the car when they tune it and i dont have the time to drive 500 miles and spend 3 days tuning my car.

· Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
welll when you have no clue what they are doing to your car its kinda a given your going to get questions mulitple questions your taking a chance on ruining your car. so based on reputation which can very from expierience to expierience i do ask a lot of questions and for 500 dollars i expect a little respect when i ask them. im the customer so either accept the fact or dont be a tuner. thats how i view it

· Registered
50 Posts
The only good tuner in North America is VT, if you ask me. Expensive, yes, but I have seen his files and can say that you can trust them.
No copy-pasta, no crazy stuff. Just good work.

You can literally count good tuners with your fingers thats how rare they are.

· Premium Member
6,015 Posts
The only good tuner in North America is VT, if you ask me. Expensive, yes, but I have seen his files and can say that you can trust them. No copy-pasta, no crazy stuff. Just good work.

You can literally count good tuners with your fingers thats how rare they are.
If you referring to Vermont Tuning, they don't appear to tune the 2.3 in our OG 9-5s.

· Registered
50 Posts
If you referring to Vermont Tuning, they don't appear to tune the 2.3 in our OG 9-5s.
Thats the one I mean. One could ask him at least.
Your only other alternatives would be:
  • Maptun
  • Mackanized (us) -> co-developer of TrionicCANFlasher and TrionicSuite
  • Noobtune

Benefit if going with Mackanized or Noobtune is that you do not need to purchase an expensive flashing tool like the MaptunerX.
At the same time you would need a Windows laptop and a TrionicCANFlasher compatible interface (50-60$) and also need to hook up the so called P-Bus if the vehicle is built before MY07.
Otherwise you cannot read/write to the ECU via the OBD port.

It is not overly complicated, but definitely not as straight forward.

· Premium Member
6,015 Posts
It is not overly complicated, but definitely not as straight forward.
Thanks for the information, I just finished my car build and I am about to buy a tune, you seem to be saying don't trust anyone other than the ones you have mentioned, are you talking about mail in tunes/send in service, and if so is there any reason to buy from the ones you mention rather than Hirschmann & Koxha?

I have no interest in learning much about how it's done, I just want it done.

I don't really care what it costs I just want to know I have a proper tune...much like ace9-5 our OP.

I haven't been able to find 'Mackanized (us)'.

· Registered
50 Posts
Generally speaking - a simple "mail/send in" tune is not the way to go for cars this age.
We must accept the fact that we are not dealing with new vehicles anymore. Hoses become brittle, parts are worn out and overall time took its toll.

With the P-Bus in place you can independently verify the integrity of the setup, since it provides logging abilities and also shows you the so called knock and misfire counters.

When going with a handheld like the MaptunerX you are definitely getting a superb tune, but in case of an issue you have to rely on a Tech2 or actual experience to determine what is wrong, while a log file can be simply shared.

As said - absolutely no hate on Maptun here - their software is one of the safest out there. But for me personally the ability to verify what is going on is important.

Regarding the question - why one should buy from our competition:
I think every company has their own benefit and also approach to things in general.

Noobtune as an example offers very inexpensive files, which is exactly what you want for a low budget tune. But don't think that low budget means that it must be poor quality - I would actually say that price/performance wise Karl (thats the name of the guy behind Noobtune) probably beats us all.

Maptun on the other hand is expensive.
For that you can rely on tunes, which were created on the dyno and approved under various load conditions in hundreds if not even thousands of cars. It is simply a quality product, where you know 100% what you are getting.

Mackanized (mackanized.eu; you can also check his Facebook page: Mackanized & Co) is something in between the two. Markus (mackan) is a man of precision and has exclusive knowledge about how the Trionic works (especially software wise).
We as a retailer of his work (thats what I meant with "us") provide extensive support and verify every car tuned by the log work mentioned above.

By the end of the day it is up to you to decide where you feel the most comfortable and what exactly you are looking for. Of course the files will be different, but they will still perform.

Personally I think you can get an at least equally good product from our competitors. So in all honesty - go for whichever you want.

The only thing I try to prevent from happening are people who get scammed by some Facebook tuners, who sell stolen Tuning Packs from trionictuning.com or copy-pasta of actual professional tunes.

Which is why I rather give a customer away to the actually good and fair competition by being honest about it.

· Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Thanks so much for the explanation and your time.

I thought 'us' meant USA...got it now.

To give you an idea of where I am as a consumer (sorry for the thread highjack OP) I have a Taliaferro 3" downpipe, Taliaferro stainless exhaust manifold, Maptune 2.5 inch exhaust, stock everything else... more mods to follow over time (intercooler and cobra), in your opinion is there any point to a tune at this point in my build?

What I am experiencing is weak low end power, I have to shift down a gear while driving around a lot more now compared to prior to the exhaust modification.

Thank you again for your thoughts.

2004 9-5 Aero, manual transmission

· Registered
50 Posts
The intercooler and cobra shouldn't demand a retune (though the cobra has an actual impact on intake depression).

However, with this setup you can barely go beyond a simple stage 1. The main question one should ask theirselves is what they want to achieve and in which condition is their car.

An example:
If a customer with a stick shift and 180K miles asks for a tune up, I would point out the clutch condition first. Eventually you are having your first power limit there (an old clutch simply can't handle as much torque as a new one). If the customer doesn't want to change it, we need to limit the power output. Further mods make no sense.

Once you know the answer to these questions (or at least you think you do), you should get in touch with your tuner. See what they think and talk the setup through.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts