SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I need to install a new clutch (will be most likely using the Viggen clutch and pressure plate) and I'm curious if there's anything else that'd be worthwhile to do while I've got the tranny out. Slave cylinder, rear main seal, etc. Keep in mind that I technically don't have any money to spend on anything:lol:

The main thing I think I will do is a MTF flush. But I don't want to miss something that will go wrong and I will need to drop the transmission again.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Axle seals, input shaft seal, shift shaft seal, resurface flywheel, rear main seal, rear engine mount, and slave cylinder as you mentioned... Ron

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm a bit more than I was hoping for...:lol:

But I suppose it's good to get that sort of stuff done. Are these other replacements difficult? I am going up to Green Bay and getting some help from a a couple Saab guys up there (PoisonBeef and Sleepy7666 if he's around).

For sure I plan on doing the flywheel resurfacing and slave cylinder...

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Think about it this way: if the rear main seal starts leaking, there goes the clutch. If the axle seals start leaking, there goes the transmission. Seals are cheap insurance... Ron

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True.

By the axle seals, do you mean this?

Can't seem to find the rear main seal either...does it go by a different name?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Yes, the side covers the axles slid into come out ( 4 or 5 bolts) and the seals are pressed out (large socket and a hammer) then replaced. Do one side at a time so you don't get the shims mixed up. The shims are used to shim the diff gear.

Do you have an engine support? I made one out of 4x4's if you need a picture... Ron

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know I don't have an engine support. Not sure if the guy I'm working with does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts