SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been on the 9-3 forum for 4 years and love my 2003 9-3 to death but I am looking to replace it with a sportcombi. I drove the 9-5SC last night and love the room. It seems to give you a lot more creature comforts for not much more money, but is a little dated compared to the 9-3 (which even with the refresh is still getting dated).

So, the quick question is:
Do you have a recent 9-5, and if so, how do you like it.
Should I find it more, or less reliable than my 03 9-3 (I have had great luck with it)
What is your real world mileage? I average 24mpg with a heavy foot on my 9-3
Is the sludge still an issue? Are there any other issues that apply to the 07 or 08 9-5s?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
101 Posts
that's a lot of questions---

sludge i do not believe should be an issue as long as you change th eoil with synthetic about every 4-6k miles depending on dirving conditions

I have an 01 aero so its not very new, but overall i can get 25mpg with mixed hwy and city driving---

i like my car plus the turbo puts an inexplicable smile on my face when i can blow away some of these newer cars or just to ge tin the gas a little every now and then

yes, IMHO 9-5 are good cars, the only downside is the depreciation is not great, and it is difficult to modify because of the T-7 (at least for my car)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2005 9-5 Aero with an automatic. I got it to replace a '95 NG900. I thought long and hard about what to get, and made this choice on the size of my kids now compared with their size in '95, when I got the 900s. They wanted back doors, and are many feet taller now. The 9-5 is a screamer. The room is great and everything about the car is super. I get fairly poor milage around town, but I bet I have one of the heaviest feet in this forum. I drive my car at high speed for short distances, when the engine is cold. On the highway i get high 20's, if I use the cruise and behave. I use synthetic oil and change every 5000 miles, and have no real problems with the car, except random haunted behavior. Sometimes the headlights come on after I shut off the car, and sometimes they don't. Sometimes the lights under the doors work, and sometimes not. everything else is fine, but for a fairly new car with only 25,000 miles on it, I was hoping for better proximity to perfection. Also, the younger kid graduates next May, and i am planning on a year in the middle east, so I think I will sell this car and go back to the smaller car when I return. I really wish I could get another coupe, but only time will tell. Good luck with what ever you get.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
macbeemer said:
I drive my car at high speed for short distances, when the engine is cold.
Thats not good :confused:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
Thats not good :confused:
Yes, very hard on any oiled interior parts of the engine and turbo to be put under load with cold oil. Can lead to cracked/broken exhaust manifolds and turbo housings in extreme situations due to the extremely rapid rise in temperature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts