SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Yesterday, I replaced the nearside outer cv joint on my RHD 2000 9-5 2.3t SE Auto. 128,000 on clock.
I tried to remove the whole driveshaft to replace the inner one as well, but was unsure on how much force or the proper way to detach it from the Transmission. There is not much of a gap between gearbox and chassis rail, about 2 inches. Can anyone help me in this problem. I have read the Haynes Manual for what good it did. No help there. Is there a clip holding it in place or is it just brute force to get it out?
Many thanx.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your swift reply. I thought as much, a special tool designed by Saab to make you take to the Dealers.

As anyone made there own tool or used something similar to prise the driveshaft away from the gearbox?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some useful info.
1) Haynes Manual is no help for this procedure. Doesn't cover this to good.
2)The Torque setting on the Wheel Hub Nut is so tight, that
you'll need a 1/4 inch 32mm socket with a breaker bar that weights
a ton, just to get the nut off (245 - 290 nm, i think)
3)You dont need a special tool from Saab ref 8792616 to remove
driveshaft from transmission. Just brute force, pulling, jerking it outwards will do. The angle you jack it up insures not much oil loss.
4)The Outer CV joint is quite straight forward, but the Inner is another story.
5)Inner CV joint :- the cup that holds the tripod bearing in place has a thin sleeve that stops the bearing from coming out. You need to bend the sleeve outwards just to release the bearing. Not pretty.
6)The Inner CV joint only fits one way. Do not make the same mistake i did.
Its a biatch to get off, as the bearing is very fragile. Trust me I know now.
7)Once you fit the inner bearing on the the spline and carefully tap the sleeve back into place, making sure you've lubed up well, fitting everything back together isn't too bad. I suggest you get some help as the lower suspension arm is a bit tricky with lining up the ball joint.
8)Also make sure if you are using cable ties on the boots that you make them as tight as you can, and also check them after a few miles, they have a habit
of popping off.
In short, a bit of a pain to do, but saved a fortune.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I forgot to take any pics. It was bloody freezing mind you.
Not the best season to attempt this kind of operation.
Well at least it's done now.
Thanks for you help Pad.
Nice one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts