SaabCentral Forums banner

NE1 got an EGT on the car?

832 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  SilverHoran 
#1 ·
I've seen a few EGT gauges on Ebay before, and havn't until now really got the use of them. From what I've read, some engine tuners tune their engine by way of peak power output using just the EGT sensor reading. So I was wondering if any of you lot have got one on your car? And do we really need it for normal street usage?

#5 ·
No. The EGT probe has to go INSIDE the exhaust path. i.e. you have to drill a hole INTO the exhaust system itself, so the probe can measure the temp INSIDE the pipe. Putting the probe there in your pic would just measure OUTSIDE the exhaust like engine bay temp. The probe usually measures from 1200 deg/F, which is inside temp of the exhaust, if it measured 1200 deg/F where you have circled, then WORRY!! ROFL.

#6 ·
that pic is right...you drill through there and it puts the probe inside the exhaust manifold...you dont want to put the probe after the turbo because it wont be that accurate...

i was in the process of doing that when my thread tap snapped off so thats why i have no probe in yet...i got my gauge and probe (autometer lunar series) used on ebay for 75 bucks...you just gotta watch for a good auction..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.