SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I recently bought a 9-5 AERO 2004 (8 months old). It had the DVD sat nav from Kenwood built in but the CD cover said 2002! (?). Some missing roads and the interface is really crap. Do you know if it is possible to upgrade this DVD i.e from 2002 to 2005? If so, where can this be purchased?

If the DVD cannot be upgraded and work with the system, is the next step to upgrade the unit itself, can this be done?

I have searched all over the place and have not find any info on this. Only about the difficulties in upgrading the units and so on. Not about the DVD/CD map upgrade.

Your feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Ascio, i know of others who have purchased late model 9-5's with 2002 software discs. It seems they all badgered their dealer for later versions of the disc but they all bought their vehicle new. I'm pretty sure there is a disc available through the dealer network, but i seem to recall it being very pricey, perhaps ypu can go direct to the manufacturers of your sat nav and get it cheaper that way.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
ASCIO,

Is your car a MY04 or a MY05...?
I ask because the system in the up to MY04 is different to the MY05 cars IIRC.

Certainley up to the end of MY04 the 2002 disc was installed by the factory, my MY04 has the 2002 disc.
This is a bit of a crap deal from Saab as there is a later dated disc available from Kenwood, but it is quite expensive IIRC, almost £200 I think...?

First thing to do is take this up with the Saab dealer, claim not fit for purpose etc.,etc.
This is what I will be doing when mine goes in for it's service later this month.

The unit isn't upgradable other than putting in the MY05 system if you car is a MY04, but honestly it's not any real improvement TBH, and anyway, that would be really expensive, as you are unlikely to get this under warranty.

The factory SatNav I'm afraid does have some chronic failings, which is a shame as it could have been a really good system, it wouldn't have taken that much to sort out either. A case of Saab's hands being tied by the GM strings probably.......

I'm aware of one Aero owner with SatNav that is close to taking legal action over the issues with the SatNav functionality.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry to be a novice but how do you identify your Aero as being MY04 or MY05? I presume it is MY04 since the car was first registered in late Oct 2004? I partly bought this particular Aero for it's Sat Nav but my TomTom on my SmartPhone is even better! I'll ask the after sales team tomorrow for an upgrade.

By the way, took me 11 hours to drive from Cornwall to the South East due to all the jams and accidents on Friday. Got a speed ticket too! Will need a warning system I think but haven't got a clue what is best to use.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
ASCIO said:
Thanks for all the feedback. Sorry to be a novice but how do you identify your Aero as being MY04 or MY05? I presume it is MY04 since the car was first registered in late Oct 2004? I partly bought this particular Aero for it's Sat Nav but my TomTom on my SmartPhone is even better! I'll ask the after sales team tomorrow for an upgrade.
The model year change over is in Aug each year, so I suspect your's is a MY05. To confirm, the 10th digit of the VIN should be a 5. If it's a 4 then it is a MY04.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, if my counting is good starting with the YS.... - my car is a MY04. Which I think is odd if it was registered so late in Oct 04. Maybe my car arrived late to the UK hence the late registration?.

Are there any major differences to the Aero MY04 vice versus MY05? (in general, engine, cabin, extras etc.) If there are, ARGH! I would have bought the MY05 instead! I did notice that my car was a few thousands less than some other 2004 models, I presume because they were the MY05 model *sniff*.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
ASCIO said:
Alright, if my counting is good starting with the YS.... - my car is a MY04. Which I think is odd if it was registered so late in Oct 04. Maybe my car arrived late to the UK hence the late registration?.

Are there any major differences to the Aero MY04 vice versus MY05? (in general, engine, cabin, extras etc.) If there are, ARGH! I would have bought the MY05 instead! I did notice that my car was a few thousands less than some other 2004 models, I presume because they were the MY05 model *sniff*.
It's quite common for dealer stock cars to be hanging around for a few months. You're right to assume this was maybe why it was a few grand cheaper.....and I've seen much worse examples, over a year or more between manufacture and registration:eek:

Aside from some minor trim/colour option differences there's no change fom MY04 to MY05......
Other than the SatNav of course :roll: as I mentioned before, although it's not that significantly better by all accounts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like we are in the same boat

Hi,

I have just been told on another forum about your moaning about the satnav. Everyone is moaning over there about ME moaning about the satnav.

All I can say is that the discs are upgradeable - they cost about £250 - which aint cheap - the 2002 disc is a disaster and to be supplied with a 2004 car is basically a crime! I have the 2003 disk that was supplied kindly by Johnathon Nash's PA - who I think is the only person at Saab GB who really knows how to get things done. You maybe able to pick up a 2003 disc cheap as they have a 2004 disc and maybe a 2005 one now. It is a kenwood disc -but be careful when buying - make sure it will fit your unit.- they won't refund you once you break the seal. The 2003 disk has major advances - but the problem is the unit in the car and the integration. Try using TP and PTY functions - and try and cancel a TP bulletin and see what happens - you will get a shock!!

I might know a place that might do them cheap - contact me off list and I will see if I can find the details. But first go back to the supplying dealer or Saab GB and tell them that you bought a 2004 car and they have given you the wrong disk!! - talk about fit for the purpose and all that !!!

As far as the Radio unit goes in combination with the Car - it is a total fudge of a mess - I don't know if I should push a button or even punch the damn thing - as it is so unpredictable, the unit locks up - crashes , lines up and down the screen - it is Bad. I have had an engineer look at the unit - he has produced a report - failing Saab to fix it or update it we WILL be issuing legal proceedings against them to completely replace the unit. I have a few other issues with head restraints and the likes and have tried really hard to sort it - but it is (in my opinion) GM tieing Saab GB's hands - as they (saab GB) have been quite helpful - I think it is someone in Sweden or Detroit who will not want to spend alot of money - which is a false economy if the press get a hold of this story if it goes to court- as they already have - Saab Rolled out the press man when the BBC phoned them up!

Anyway I am sick to the back teeth of my car - the car it's self is great - it's just the annoying cheap poor quality parts that they use and the appauling design flaws which stand out like a sore thumb!

I hope this helps you - if you have a problem with the headrestraints - please let me know as I am collecting witness statements.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OK, I found some of the posts of yours in the other forum. I have never had any problems of your kind with my 2002 disc. I can cancel and it never crashes on me - just got lots of missing roads :lol: being as old as 2002.

I have checked my local dealer and they say around £280, but cannot identify the disc in-stock being newer than my own version! Argh! But they are coming back to me on that one.
So you've got the 2003 disc, I wonder if there is a 2004 and 2005 version. I am desperate, I would pay for the 2005 but my dealer don't know anything! :confused:

I have tried Google search for anything about Kenwood SatNav and Saab. NOTHING!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Polaris, you are very welcome here, and I too would be livid if my £35k car had such short comings, I have slighly edited your post as mention of "that" forum makes several of us very nauseous :roll:

Perhaps others with similar problems can post here, or PM you with their input ;)

Again, welcome to Saab Central :cool: Another convert to the "brighter side" :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to mention the other forum - I thought everyone was friends!!!??

Saab sent me a Kenwood disc - they originally told me that this was the wrong one and it did not work - well maybe that's what Kenwood may have told them- there was quite a big todo within Saab about the Satnav. Saab Holland got their own discs direct from Kenwood and got a better deal than the rest of Saab put together - just goes to show - who ever was in charge of that was not doing a good job - hence the duff units we have inherited!!!

http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/kenwood_navigation_accessories.html
here is a link for the discs for one online seller you want the Kenwood KNA-MP223 DVD Map - but double check - as I could be wrong - but I am sure I am not. There is also some used discs for just £49 !!!!! But I am not sure what year they are - but anthing is better than the 2002 disc. 2003 is far superior when you come up to junctions - the map guides you so much better so you know where you are going - 2005 good be brill ! But shame about the head unit - I hope this helps - it maybe an idea to pump the above part numbers into a search engine !!! you may get a better deal - but there again £49.00 is a bargain!!

I hope this helps !! Maybe we can do some tests on the discs to see what the differences are!?;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Great Polaris, thanks for all the info. I noticed that the DVD's are 'only' according to the shop compatible with certain kenwood models. I will check in my boot in a few moments to see exactly what model I've got. Mine has a memory card reader built in!

I'll give some updates later on today.

Cheers

* Update
# I've got the KNA-DV2200, I presume upgrading to the KNA-DV3200 is useless.
# I've spoken to Caraudiodiscount, £249.99 is the latest for the above model and maps from Feb 2005 (roughly). But does not include the M6 toll road!?
# The Ex demo DVD for £49.99 is an old one, could be 2002/2003 - useless.

I will look elsewhere some more to see if I can find some details of the DVD.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Erm... the only info I can find about the DVD is from your link above. There are some Dutch dealers that sell the same DVD but priced roughly the same. I will order the £249.99 DVD, if it doesn't work I'll sell it on since it can be used on all Kenwood DV2200 systems regardless of car make.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone know if the KNA-DV2200 (Kenwood) navigation system in my boot (Aero 04) can be swapped out (literally) with the newer version from Kenwood KNA-DV3200?

The DVD is £249.99 but if you buy the KNA-DV3200 (£880 or around) the DVD is free!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am no expert - but if all the connectors are the same and it is the same size or smaller - then I am pretty much sure the 2200 is nothing special - and the 3200 is just a box. To be sure just go to one of these audio places on the high street- pull the plugs out the back of your boot unit and plug theirs staright in - I bet you it will work ok - as long as the antenna connectors and everything are the same etc. If in the UK you could get a good deal on the Tottenham court road.

What surprises me is the number of 2200 units for sale on ebay recently that are just a year old- is that telling us something?

I went to use my unit last night - lines up and down the screen - you can see the liquid when you push the screen and it was SO SLOW and it would not scroll across the screen when you dragged your finger - it kept locking up!

Mine is going back! And I will refuse to have it replaced with the same model again! As it has been replaced already - was even DOA, then it has started to go again! Even crashed the other week - and it will not let me cancel the navigation everytime- sometimes for hours and days!! You also loose the voice navigation too. Othertimes the head unit has refused to come on. So if they replace it 15 months down the line it will probably need replacing again! I ain't paying for that !

Let us know how you get on !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, I probably need to go to the local audio expert like you said for the check. The KNA-DV3200 superceded the DV2200, people are probably upgrading. The newer version is more powerful etc. Mind you, I translated a German webpage in regards to the 2004/05 DVD spec; 100% coverage for the Benelux, 94% UK, 1% Norway, 5% Ireland, 20% France and 86% Germany - exact figures may be slightly different since I am typing from memory :lol:. But those stats are less than my maps on TomTom 5.

Maybe there is a fault with head unit rather than your DVD unit? Cables or something. Although I am no expert on this subject.

I almost ordered the 2004/05 DVD for the DV2200. Been in the check out area for a while; shall-shall not-maybe?-nahh-OK get it-No wait-shall I? Can't really make up my mind. To save money I should really keep the DV2200 which I know works OK and get the DVD update for 2004/05.

Argh, I need to do some thinking :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts