SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
08 9-3 2.0T USA
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sorry if this has already been asked, I couldn’t find anything on it. I want to get a factory navigation radio, but they tend to be about $300-$500 which is a little out of budget. I’ve seen the same looking radio for GMC and Chevrolet cars much cheeper, would one of those work in my 08 9-3?

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
Remember that you need to modify wiring looms and add navigation antenna and antenna cable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I’ve seen the same looking radio for GMC and Chevrolet cars much cheeper, would one of those work in my 08 9-3?
I've Frankensteined a few SatNavs and may have some worthwhile input.

They're similar looking but internally different. The Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe (truck and most SUV) versions use a memory card versus navigation disc. Saturn Outlook is more similar to the Saabs with the use of an actual disc. Regardless, if you buy one used it will likely be VIN locked and unusable.

The Saabs will most likely be VIN locked as well (due to being uninstalled and not divorced from car) but can still be married via tech2 scanner easily. Used GM SatNavs also vin lock when uninstalled but cannot be simply hooked up to the Saab and work. Even with a tech2.

The only way another non Saab GM SatNav radio MAY work is if it is new and factory unlocked. That should make it available to marry to the Saab via tech2 but I cannot confirm. Regardless, a brand new factory unlocked GM SatNav is $$$$ and wont have updated maps.

In sum, save your time and money and go aftermarket. That is unless you have money burning a hole in your pockets and too much extra time.

·
Registered
08 9-3 2.0T USA
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! After hearing that, I’m thinking that I’ll probably go after market

1 - 5 of 5 Posts