SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there going to be an upgrade available for older models for Nav like 5there is with the satellite radio?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I haven't heard any plans for a Navigation upgrade. It would seriously surprise me if you could efficiently upgrade an older model for navigation. I would imagine the parts alone would be several thousand dollars.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking about a 93 aero or vector not the older body style just to be clear, but you're probably right I was thinking it would be a 1,500 dollar job or something.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Go with something like this, the Lowrance iWay 500. It's easily one of the best aftermarket systems out there.

Retails for something like $700 and also plays MP3s, is removable, waterproof, etc...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I want something that looks more like it came with the car, that looks nice but I'm not sure how it would look iinstalled or even if it could be installed. I don't like the hand held ones I would much rather have one mounted on the dash. Thanks I will check this one out it looks pretty cool, I would like to see what it looks like I definitely don't want something exterior, I want it in the dashboard.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I spoke to my mechanic and he didn't seem to think it would be cost effective, the one thing that is a problem with Saabs it's tough to get aftermarket units for them.
If you look at a diagram of the fiber optics it looks like it should be an easy upgrade but I doubt they are planning anything for us older owners. I have the navman GPS and I hate it, I hate all of the dash or windshield mounted ones, Saab is known for smooth lines and it just runis it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I have a TomTom Go mounted on the dash with a Pro-Clip mount. Doesn't look "factory", but it works well and is portable.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
vectorX said:
I'm talking about a 93 aero or vector not the older body style just to be clear, but you're probably right I was thinking it would be a 1,500 dollar job or something.
Navigation on the 2005 and later 9-3SS's is approximately $2,000 from the factory. At a minimum, the following parts would need to be added to retrofit a factory system: New Headunit, Navigation unit with DVD player in trunk, GPS antenna. There may be other necessary components.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts