SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you get the factory installed Navi system what exactly does it do and what is it all integrated with it.

Also, if you are getting OnStar for 1 year and they provide turn by turn navigation, doesnt that counteract the Navi System that you already have? Or do they work together. I guess I'm just not clear on why you would need OnStar if you have the Navigation System in your car (of course besides the safety features and hands free calling).

"Proudly Serving In Afghanistan"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jay ... first, thanks for your service!! I sure hope your Saab is for use back here and not on Afgan streets!! :)

The 07+ navigation + OnStar is an interesting combination. The navigation system (by itself) is a great box. Handles all of the audio functions (AM, FM, XM, CD, & AUX) as well as moving maps and point of interest functions that a GPS based system brings to the table. OnStar seems to be more tuned to emergency use and convenience. The plan that comes "free" for the first year does not provide any directions or other "concierge" services. That requires a paid upgrade. This basic plan provides air bag notification, on call emergency assistance and so on. (You'll find several threads around here with folks complaining about the fact many of OnStar's nifty features -- such as remote unlock -- don't work on Saab's. Perhaps that's been changed for the '08's).

I am pleased with the (currently free) basic plan at this point for two reasons -- the security of emergency services is nice to have, and I have actually used the pre paid phone minutes twice ... when I forgot my cell phone!! I will probably renew it at the end of the year and keep a minimum of "minutes" pre-paid. That basic plan currently costs about $200 a year. With the capabilities of the onboard navigation system, I see no reason to sign up for the more expensive plans as they would largely duplicate what I already have internally.

The "bummer"? I do wish they would not exclude any kind of Bluetooth connection; however, I understand GM wants to share revenue with Verizon ... but I do wish I had some choices!!

Cheers!!

Ken
(Ret AF Major)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sir,

Rgr that. I am planning on purchasing the 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero through the military program, and having it ready for me when I return to Hawaii.

So the factory installed Navi system operates the radio, xm, cd, mp3 input, climate control etc. And provides for GPS navigation. So I wont need to use onstar for that, correct?

In regards to hands free calling - I understand how the Onstar function works, but have read many threads suggesting that bluetooth won't work with on star installed. Do you have insight on installing an aftermarket bluetooth system and disabling onstar all together.

'Proudly Serving In Afghanistan"

·
Registered
759 Posts
Jay,

You'll love your new Saab. We bought the Volvo on the military program at $9k off sticker while overseas, great deal. Be safe over there.

Nick
(LCDR, USN)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Navy Jay said:
Sir,

Rgr that. I am planning on purchasing the 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero through the military program, and having it ready for me when I return to Hawaii.

So the factory installed Navi system operates the radio, xm, cd, mp3 input, climate control etc. And provides for GPS navigation. So I wont need to use onstar for that, correct?

In regards to hands free calling - I understand how the Onstar function works, but have read many threads suggesting that bluetooth won't work with on star installed. Do you have insight on installing an aftermarket bluetooth system and disabling onstar all together.

Point one ... the navi unit doesn't seem to directly interface with the climate control (that's a separate panel & system), but it does control all audio.

At least with the 07's (and I'll assume it's also true of the '08's) BT cannot be integrated at this time. From what I've been able to find here and elsewhere, the electronics are too tightly integrated to allow a 3rd party direct solution. Navigation plus OnStar is our only choice.

I went with a clip on BT unit that goes on the visor. There's another thread about an intriguing looking unit that goes on the steering wheel. (See: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113156) Depending on price, I'd probably go with that one if it were available.

The lack of BT is a bummer ... but considering that just about every other nut and bolt on this puppy is GREAT, it's OK. We've had our 'vert for a couple of months and just shy of 2,000 trouble free miles. Came from a Jaguar S-Type R (400-hp, semi-supercar). Definitely NOT a step down!! (Well, the 9-3 is a bit "slower" ... but not all that noticeable since I want to stay out of jail!!)

Cheers!!

Ken

·
Registered
74 Posts
Navy Jay said:
Sir,

Jay,
I have a 07 with Nav and i think the interrioe of the 08 and electronics will be very similar to the 07 as there were no changes made to the 08 interior.(correct me if i'm wrong)

2 weeks ago i tried having a parrot 3200-LS installed and i gave it up for the moment. listed below are the answers i got as to why i can or cannot have bluetooth.

1) dealer- Flat out no because i have Onstar
2) Went to 6th ave electronics and they could not do it because the guy said the Nav/Steroe does not have a mute so the Parrot can't mute the stereo when calls come in or when i use the blue tooth. atleast in my case this defeated part of the purpose of having a hardwired bluetooth system.
3) went to a car audio place and the guy was not a 100% sure it could be done but said it could be possible if he did some wiring around the factory bose amp??
4) e-mailed a guy at www.quickconnectproducts.com and this was his answer.

"You would buy the QCHBB-GM3 not the QCGMCSS-2P. Try our drop down harness selection menu. Best regards, Howard at www.quickconnectproducts.com"

He said the this is made for the new GM Nav/audio unit which i have on my 07 9-3 and it's totally plug and play except for the one power wire which i doubt i will have any trouble finding. getting this harness would increase the cost about $150 but gets me away from cutting up wires in my car. He also said it will work even if i have onstar.

I ended up just replacing the factory speakers and i plan on doing this in the next few months.

thanks for the service and be safe!

Cheers
S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts