SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

Checking past threads, there are warnings about fitting a "standard" battery in place of the thinner turbo one.

So guess what I've just had done by a reputable independent.....

The heat shield is very close to the turbo.

Do I worry about this?

Anyone experienced a premature failure because of the heat?

All feedback gratefully received.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
As far as I can tell, my battery is a standard size, and the heat shield nearly touches the turbocharger housing. Still going strong.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
You likely bought a high heat battery which has thicker plastic walls. Some manufacturer do this instead of the narrower battery. I've never had a problem with either, but I prefer the thinner one all the same.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
The heat from the turbo is not to much for the plastic case of a battery,and besides heat rises, its does not fall down towards the battery.

A heat shield is a good thing, plastic is an insulator and the heat from one side will not pass into the acid, beside batteries dont work well in cold temperatures but then too much heat is not a good thing either.

Some boffin at BMW wrote a white paper on this heat issue so they have insulated plastic jackets around the battery and they are no where near a turbo or manifold, thats right BMW dont have turbos so are are they worried?
cause the jackets are made by a local German company probably and its good for their economy? or the jackey keeps the battery nice and clean so the BMW guys dont get their fingers dirty:cheesy:

If you have two batteries then worry about turbo heat, i wouldnt worry unless your turbo is putting out lots of red heat that i have read about on here, this would indicate something is wrong maybe.

batteries die because of the huge stress placed on them by cracking and then sudden current dumping from the alternator, heat is way down the list IMHO for battery life span.

Are you worried about your battery for any reason?

if you are going to purchase a new battery just get one with a long warrenty, like a 3 year one.
I promise it will be woth it in the long run.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
The heat from the turbo is not to much for the plastic case of a battery,and besides heat rises, its does not fall down towards the battery.
But the heat we're concerned about here is radiated heat, not convected. There was a good reason why Saab specified extra heat-resistant and narrower batteries for the turbo cars.

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Thats true Matthew, but i drive like a granny on weed!:cheesy: ultra chillaxed

I have seen quite a few turbo Saabs without the shield, this is not to say dont have a shield, i made my own, for 2 reasons, too hold the batteries and protect them from extrem heat that could come from the turbo like on a long haul or just an extremly hot day.

An effective shield is ceramic biscuits, not any type of metal, the problem ceramics breaks easy, so it has to be put in a sandwhich like two metal sheets, wont cost much as you can DIY one from an old heater.

Houston we have lift off:roll:

Just a little OTT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts