SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 1997 900s, about 3 days ago, every time I go to start the car in the morning (it's usually been sitting for 6+ hours) It turns over then immediately stalls. I have crank the engine about ten more times before it will start and idle, and at that point if i give it any gas at all it will stall again. I have to let it idle for about a min before it is drivable, at which point it starts and drives normally all day. This has happened consistently for the last three days, any ideas on what could be causing this?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Almost sounds like your fuel pump is on its last leg. Aside from that I'm not entirely sure on what could be causing it...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Bring all of the servive requirements up to date.
Check the IAC (idle air control)
Check the temperature sensor on the inlet manifold, this is a prime suspect.
Good luck and welcome to SaabCentral:cheesy:

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I will bet that the car didn't act that way when you test drove it, did it? I read an article about what to do before a test drive and one item said to check the engine to see if it was warm/hot. If it was, there was a pretty good chance that it was warmed up for a reason. Maybe stalling, excessive smoke at startup, or many other problems that are only evident when the engine is cold.

You might try turning the key to the On position first and let it sit there for 10 or 15 seconds to see if the fule pump will build more pressure. Then try to start the car. That might help... Ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
God, I hope it's not the fuel pump...just spent 15mins skimming through the replacement procedure and my head hurts....

Thanks for the advice, I'll be spending my day off tomorrow having at this.

PS: According to the temp. gauge, My engine is reaching op. temp then fluctuating between that and Low all the time while I drive, thermostat perhaps? or a related problem...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spoke with someone at work today who has owned a few saabs and he agrees that the temp sensor on the inlet manifold is a common cause of this problem. Unfortunately, I don't know where to find it... does anyone know where on the manifold it is?

·
Registered
867 Posts
It's just to the left and up from the thermostat. (looking from the front) There is a little connector with a clip you can see between the fuel injectors. It's kind of tough to get to. I pried off the connector with a screwdriver and then loosened the sensor with a 17mm wrench from above the manifold.
They're available at many parts chain stores but make sure you get the NPT coolant sensor. Many catalog listings only have the coolant gauge sensor which changed midyear at a specific VIN. Don't go to Autozone unless you don't mind paying a jaw dropping $100 for a $12 part. I ordered mine from RockAuto.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
It's just to the left and up from the thermostat. (looking from the front) There is a little connector with a clip you can see between the fuel injectors. It's kind of tough to get to. I pried off the connector with a screwdriver and then loosened the sensor with a 17mm wrench from above the manifold.
They're available at many parts chain stores but make sure you get the NPT coolant sensor. Many catalog listings only have the coolant gauge sensor which changed midyear at a specific VIN. Don't go to Autozone unless you don't mind paying a jaw dropping $100 for a $12 part. I ordered mine from RockAuto.
Good info.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
God, I hope it's not the fuel pump...just spent 15mins skimming through the replacement procedure and my head hurts....

Thanks for the advice, I'll be spending my day off tomorrow having at this.

PS: According to the temp. gauge, My engine is reaching op. temp then fluctuating between that and Low all the time while I drive, thermostat perhaps? or a related problem...
I trust the temperature and gage, maybe too much?
But the symptoms do yell thermostat, loud and clear.
To confirm, Ron suggested the Model Garage method of placing the t-stat in heated water with an accurate thermometer and observing the opening, which must be smooth and at the correct temperature.
I'd like to see more emphasis on testing and diagnostics, rather than leaping to expensive conclusions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to "thesaabsite" A faulty coolant temp sensor would cause the weird fluctuations in my temp gauge. From what I understand it can also cause the rough starts in the morning. So today I picked up a new one for 30$ at car quest, go to install it, and realize that I have no idea on how to get this stupid piece of plastic that sits just over the engine off... where are the bolts that hold it on?

PS- Sorry for all the total noob questions, been a honda owner all my life and maintenance on this saab is a whole different game.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts