SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 9-5 and have had two problems over the last few weeks. Saab service folks are baffled. I'm hoping you all can help.

1. Car won't start randomly (completely unrelated to when the last time I drove it...could be 15 minutes, could be 15 hours). Voltmeter reads 12.37 at these moments and so battery (1.5 years old) is fine. Lights come on but no crank noise. Will start after jumper cables on there for about 10 minutes (though once it took 20). Car occasionally sputters in idle, too. Saab checked battery (and possible drains) and alternator. All okay.

I'm wondering if there's a chance this is all related to my other problem #2, which seems to coincide in terms of timing.

2. O2 sensor replaced about 6 months ago, all fine until 2 weeks ago. Right before first crank failure, the check engine light comes on and the code is for O2 sensor. Car failed to crank twice after that. Saab replaced O2 sensor when they checked for start failure. For 2 days no problems with starting the car. Then yesterday check engine light on again (coded as O2 sensor) and the next stop, start failure.

I have no clue if there's a possible connection here between 1 and 2 or if there is something else I'm missing. Saab did not say specifically that they checked the starter, but they said they checked everything that could be causing the problem. Do the symptoms for the start failures sound like a starter issue?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bad ground? Does not fit simptoms cause you can start it with cables.

Maybe there is oksidation on batery terminals?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
What is the battery voltage when you try to crank?

Have you tried waiting 15 minutes without doing the jumper thing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What is the battery voltage when you try to crank?

Have you tried waiting 15 minutes without doing the jumper thing?

The voltage after trying to crank a couple of times and failing was 12.37 (after only a 15 minute stop/engine off after driving for 30 minutes); once car was running (but still parked) for a minute it was 13.75 after that particular failure. Today, it'd been off for about 15 hours and voltage was 12.19 before I tried and failed to crank. I went out just now (maybe an hour since that last try) and it grumbled slightly but wouldn't turn over. No lights either. No other sounds. Tried again a little later and it's at 10.33.

No oxidation on terminals.

If a battery sitting for 15 hours or so goes to 12.19 without any attempt to start, is that a bad battery? Saab guys said they checked to see if anything was draining it quickly (and incorrectly) and they found nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE: Took the batt out (<11v at this point) and over to Autozone, where it at first tested fine but low charge. Guy charges it and tests again and BAD BATTERY...REPLACE comes up on the screen. At Autozone last week and the Saab place both got "healthy" draw and charge when they tested it. Not sure what happened between those 3 tests (AZ, Saab, AZ) and the 2nd one today, but I got a replacement b/c old one still under warranty (18 months old).

I'm going to check the voltage periodically over the next few days to see if there's any draw on it.

Extremely relieved now but also puzzled.

Thanks for the questions/suggestions today. I really was losing it over this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts