SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All
Hopefully the community can help me out with this one.

I just did a engine swap on a MY01 9-5 LPT and everything went off without a hitch until I tried starting it.
It cranks and cranks with no start.
I have narrowed my problem down to spark.
Here's what I've ruled out:
  1. There is plenty of new fuel in fuel tank
  2. Fuel pump good
  3. Plenty of fuel pressure
  4. injectors good- spark plugs stink of gas when pulled
  5. Crankshaft position sensor good (fuel pump works)
  6. DIC good (swapped out with my MY00 9-5). I wish this was my problem!
  7. Spark plugs NEW
  8. Grounds from engine wiring harness on engine attached and all looks good
  9. No problems with any fuses (Checked them all)
  10. No Check Engine Light that I can see
  11. All wiring looks good and free from cuts, breaks, etc.
  12. What else?!

This is truly a mystery. Here's some background... I recently flashed the ECU to match the TWICE I just replaced and flashed the ECU with a tune for the GT-17, but have run this with no problems on my other SAAB.

After grounding the DIC with spark plugs in it there was definitely no spark... this is my issue with the no start- NO SPARK.

What in the world could it be. Any SAAB mechanics out there I welcome your suggestions.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Since were brainstorming here's my contribution. Under the heading "Ignition Switch electrical portion issue" they describe some symptoms that may be relevant. You reused the ECU, and TWICE units, what about the NSS?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Since were brainstorming here's my contribution. Under the heading "Ignition Switch electrical portion issue" they describe some symptoms that may be relevant. You reused the ECU, and TWICE units, what about the NSS?
Hey pegasus50!
Thanks for brainstorming with me! This is good stuff... didn't know anyone has ever had this problem. My only question is... I have all the lights on the dash, SID, etc. so could this still be my possible problem? I wonder...
Anyone else?
I like that the ball is rolling thanks again pegasus50

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reused the ECU yes, but had to marry it to a TWICE from a parts car I have, unless you don't mind paying like $500 to http://lostsaabkeys.com/ a TWICE without a transponder is worthless. While I was marrying it using T7suite I went ahead and flashed it with a LPT tune I had. Everything went without a hitch... before SID displayed "Key not accepted" and after the tune and marry it cranked over like a champ.

One piece of important information- I think (hope my mind wasn't playing tricks) it started for like a second then immediately died. I can't be positive as it was so quick, so I don't know if there was a spark.

I plan on reflashing the ECU this weekend. I don't believe this is the problem, but worth a shot.

I did reuse the NSS can this be the problem?!!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please tell me more about the Neutral Safety Switch/ Neutral Position Switch

I love SC- helps me think :cheesy:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Please tell me more about the Neutral Safety Switch/ Neutral Position Switch

I love SC- helps me think :cheesy:
The NSS has a reputation for it's contacts going bad (usually when warm). As you can imagine this might explain why some people run out and buy CPS sensors. In your case it doesn't sound relevant. :confused: Are you sure you checked all the grounding points?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you check the battery terminals? maybe there loose or need a good cleaning?
Would bad battery terminals cause this issue? It cranks strong and the battery is new, so I don't think this is my issue.
Thanks for the input.

·
Banned
250 Posts
It seems you haven't checked the most obvious thing for this problem! Distributor! Cables and cap you should check them. If their good I don't know what else you could check except compression...

·
Banned
250 Posts
Also are you sure the spark plugs are the right ones for the car ? Though this wouldn't usally cause NO spark. Just limited or intermittent spark. My 1994 Peugeot 405 Diesel used to be VERY sporadic with its glow plugs but now it has new ones, Bosh as reccomended by Peugeot. It got them in December and has always started even in this frosty weather! Does struggle sometimes though! Probably the relay getting worn but what the hey!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems you haven't checked the most obvious thing for this problem! Distributor! Cables and cap you should check them. If their good I don't know what else you could check except compression...
In the older SAABs there were distributors with cables, but today we have what's known as the Direct Ignition Cassette (DIC). This delivers sparks to each of the spark plugs via t7 engine management.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here's my $.02. If it's not getting any spark and you know the DIC is good, it's pointing either to timing or an electrical issue. I'm sure you are probably aware of that. But, considering you have a timing chain and assuming this was a good running engine before you did the swap, I don't know this would be an issue.

So now, we are down to electrical. You say the cps is good, how have you tested? If you have swapped it too, did you make sure the old o-ring came out before installing the new? I know you mentioned all wires look good and free from cuts, but it may be time to really start digging into the wiring and following it back from the DIC to the ECU, maybe even with a multi-meter.

Also check out this post, if you haven't all ready seen it. It touches on the harness connnections and the ECU. http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173230&highlight=No+Spark

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good stuff.... I will look into this. Thanks

BTW I know the cps is good because the fuel pump is running and delivering good fuel pressure to the rail. Via the WIS, when the CPS is faulty it does not ground the fuel pump and therefore no start, but I have good fuel delivery.

I do really need to get a multimeter all over the wiring harness.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you checked for any engine codes? My car would just crank and crank and crank after I replaced my fuel pump. Pulled the engine code, stated there was an open circuit, checked my fuses, and the one for the injectors was missing (shop must have pulled it and didn't put it back after I told them I would work on it myself).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts