SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately with the cooler temperatures I've been getting a pretty bad mist on the inside windows, especially the rear one. It happens pretty quick, even in an hour or two, but I can't find any obvious wet spots in my car. The real strange thing is my ignition...it gets really wet sometimes. The rest of the center console is perfectly dry, but the metal keyhole part is literally covered with water. :confused:

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
High humidity conditions and you are in the dew point sweet spot.
The ignition switch key lock could be the only steel item in the car...that is exposed..to the moisture.

Carry a towel in the car:cheesy:

Its the same in your bathroom, condensation on the mirror, glass, and steel fittings..

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm, didn't think about that. Is there any potential for damage if enough water somehow gets into the key hole? Also, I've heard about putting Rain-X on the inside of windows to prevent condensation, any opinions on this?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Surprising

RainX is suburb, but one does have to keep applying and reapplying on a monthly basis - which I am too lazy to do - so I do not know about the "oil build up" - I've heard about wax build up..
With a good application of Rain X, there is no need to use the wipers, visibility is better without them during most rain events..

There it a product that one may apply to the mirror and glass to prevent condensation. But proper powerful ventilation in the house can better deter this..
Years ago a Saab prototype had an automatic ventilation fan using solar power - seems to be a good idea.

The moisture can be a problem - maybe a shot of WD-40 now and again. This Water Displacer must be good for something.
I use a graphite based lock oil..

·
Registered
553 Posts
One thing I use to do when I lived over in Tacoma, and had a car parked outside, is but in a Aire Drie system. Kept most of the moisture out of my cars.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Pull up the floor of the cargo area and have a peek in the spare tire well. It might be damp in there from slight leaks and that dampness permeates throughout the car as it evaporates. Thats what happens in mine.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
KSpark said:
Lately with the cooler temperatures I've been getting a pretty bad mist on the inside windows, especially the rear one. It happens pretty quick, even in an hour or two, but I can't find any obvious wet spots in my car. The real strange thing is my ignition...it gets really wet sometimes. The rest of the center console is perfectly dry, but the metal keyhole part is literally covered with water. :confused:
Is that because its sitting right above your sunroof? Also make sure your doors are draining and not sitting full of water. The rubber seal at the bottom of the door will pull away a little to let it drain... but i cant remember if thats with my 9-3 or 9000

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
The last time I had a leaky taillight gasket it let enough moisture into the car that the key slot got a little surface rust on it! There's another thing for you to check. Those taillights cause all sorts of problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts