SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing of air systems and nearly nothing about engines, please don't use any technical lingo/info or it'll just go over my head. Thank you.

I have a 2001 9-3. Recently, it has begun to make a very odd grinding, rotating noise (the grinding occurs every two seconds or so, on and off). I have come to find that it only happens when the air is turned on, and that is speeds up when I hit the gas. Turning off the air is a fast remedy, but I'd rather just solve the problem all together. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
If it only occurs when the air conditioning compressor is on, it is probably the a/c clutch. if you take it to a delaer they will probably want to change the entire compressor and not just the clutch.

You might find an Indy that will change only the clutch. I've seen them on eBay for around $100, whereas a complete compressor would be around $1000 plus labor.

I would not use the a/c or defrost until the problem has been fixed because if the clutch comes apart, the serpentine belt will come off and you could possible ruin the engine if you drive too far... Ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts