SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read here about problems with sludging in oil,

I have a MY07 93 convertable - just 3 weeks old - and what would you suggest i use as Oil, I'm used to deisel engineers needed a litre of Oil every now and then, and usually just use whatevers in the garage for deisel engines -

But what should i use from day one.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
your NEW car should have syntheticin it and the dealer should change it as part of the service agreement.
twoie

G

·
twoie said:
your NEW car should have syntheticin it and the dealer should change it as part of the service agreement.
twoie
Only the US has free service and oil changes for the first 36K miles/3 years. In Europe and everywhere else, you're on your own.

The newer 9-3 engines are not affected by sludge but you should use synthetic oils (with A3/B3 spec) either way. Change it according to the intervals mentioned in your manual matching your driving style and you should be all set.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Sludge in a 93SS? I don't know where you read that but it's certainly not an issue in the SS, maybe back in the 9000's or NG900's as I recall. B205 Engines I think?

Synthetic Oil is the Factory fill and your Interval is 10K. Mobil 1 0W40 is most commonly used by DIY Saabers and Dealers here in the US, you have more Oil Options in Europe. Just check your Manual for the pertinent info.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
JonV said:
Sludge in a 93SS? I don't know where you read that but it's certainly not an issue in the SS, maybe back in the 9000's or NG900's as I recall. B205 Engines I think?

Synthetic Oil is the Factory fill and your Interval is 10K. Mobil 1 0W40 is most commonly used by DIY Saabers and Dealers here in the US, you have more Oil Options in Europe. Just check your Manual for the pertinent info.
Yes, the B205 engine had the sludge problem, it seemed a particular problem on the earlier 9-5's. No such issues with the B207 in the 9-3SS.

Mobil 1 0W40 or equivalent is the factory recommendation for the petrol (gas) engined cars, the diesel engined ones may well be different.

The oil change intervals are fixed to 10K miles though for the diesel engines, rather than the variable algorythm based intervals on the petrol cars.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting, the service interval for the car in UK is 18K miles or 1 year, and I assume the SID will also tell - it was at 75% the first day I got it and now at 69% and its been driven very carefully - running it style - keep the revs below 4000 and ensure not to low.

I'll look at the oil recommendations in the manual - But I was expecting to top up wth a litre at least a couple of times between now and 18K

I had two vauxhalls which one every 6K miles and the one i currently have about evey 12K

I'm not really into cars (just driven company cars for all my career, so apart from when i was in my teens a while ago, I dont really do any mechanics) and no all the engine numbers and mdels etc, so just was not sure about sludge and the best way to keep the car for the long term

So thanks for all the input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts