SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a 1991 Saab 900S.

I had some problems driving today (strong smell of fuel when idling and stalling when coming to a stop).

I had a look under the bonnet and found that the the valve cover ventilation / breather nipple had 'popped off'

I put it back on, restarted the car and everything seems to be OK.

A silly question, what does this do? I'm guessing it shouldn't really be left off?

Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Are you speaking of the PCV hose or another line? Sometimes these 20 year old lines lose their grip...replacing them is always a good idea. Failing that, small zipties can help them hang on.

But pictures of what is going on under your hood (bonnet) would help us help you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. Pictures would help wouldn't they?? :)

Attached to this message (as I found it and after I put it back in).

Attachments

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You have identified the cam cover breather correctly and it allows the crankcase to breath and all fumes are drawn into the intake tract if fitted correctly. The small hose going to the intake header also allows the vacuum from the engine to provide a small amount of negative pressure in the crankcase. If the fitting pops out you may find your idle is erratic and higher than normal. Over time the rubber bush that retains the fitting can become soft and allows the breather fitting to pop out. This is the part if you decide to replace it;http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=105_588&products_id=2425

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks Peva. For the price, it may well be worth just replacing it.

Does the old bush just pop out and the new one just pop in?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I had an idiot mechanic 'friend' break that off once leaning in to look at my engine. Managed to bodge a workable fix roadside with a sparkplug boot, part of what was left and some electrical tape. To be more specific, my ex wife's now ex husband, lol.

·
Registered
468 Posts
sorry to hijack a dead thread...
what is the thick, insulated pipe coming off the breather and going to the front of the engine under the fuel rail; and what does it do?
Mine was fractured and I've taped it back together (could it affect my boost?)
Thanks
Ez

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
sorry to hijack a dead thread...
what is the thick, insulated pipe coming off the breather and going to the front of the engine under the fuel rail; and what does it do?
Mine was fractured and I've taped it back together (could it affect my boost?)
Thanks Ez
It's to allow any crankcase fumes to be sucked back into the intake. The thick foam outside is to insulate the pipe to prevent oil fumes solidifying and potentially blocking the breather pipe at very low temperatures. A fracture of this pipe will not affect your boost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, my vacuum part of that nipple broke off. But replacement nipple and bushing, but in the guys pic above there is something white connected to vacuum line just beyond nipple...what is that? Do I need it or can I just connect vacuum line right to nipple without it? 88’ 900 turbo

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
The white thing is a check valve, you absolutely need it. Without it, the turbo will pressurize the sump leading to a number of serious problems. Don't run the car without a check valve in the PCV line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts