SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just the other day i blew up my beloved Saab.I bought car with 130k back in 2007, and its life ended early, with just shy of 180k. I'm not the afraid to admit i drove the car hard. In that 50k life i went though several sets of tires. But what erks me is when this happen, i was not on the car at all.
I was just pulling out on to the road and all of sudden pieces came flying. Watching the oil coolant flowing down the street as i wait for tow truck, made me think is this the end?

Notice the parts neer, my tire. Those are what i were able to find in the road.

FB_IMG_13668449634845028 by nblracer, on Flickr

Here are those parts up close

DSC01324 by nblracer, on Flickr

A look from under the car. From this view i new i threw rod.

DSC01335 by nblracer, on Flickr

Although you can not see in this pic. But with flash light you were able to see the valves from the underside of the car. So where did that piston GO!

IMG_20130425_154759 by nblracer, on Flickr

there it is, in the bottom of my oil pan

FB_IMG_13671040627976846 by nblracer, on Flickr

FB_IMG_13671042192909715 by nblracer, on Flickr

So it took out two rods, (1 and 2, Front and back passenger side) and, one piston completely gone, (2, front passenger side). The other piston is still in the cylinder, and can move freely. The Both of the connecting rod ends can spin freely on the crank. So i don't think i spun a barring, or seize the piston. I know i was due for a timing belt soon, but i don't know if this would cause this kind of damage. For the most part the head looks good. Although i have not looked at the timing belt yet, i would not be surprise, if the belt skipped a few teeth, from the abrupt stop of the rod getting wedged in, stopping the crank.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stick a 4 cylinder in it :D

Seriously though, that is bad luck. I highly doubt any timing belt issues caused that one. That is probably either serious lubrication issues, fuelling issues or just bad luck.
How were your valve springs? I ask as I had at a mates workshop a couple of months back a 2007 Holden Commodore VE V6 (3.6lt version of GM Alloytec V6 to all the non aussies out there) that snapped a valve spring. Valve dropped, took out a piston and the valve stem got wedged between crank and crankcase - locked it up good.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean the pictures.
Most are taken with the phone, so they suck. I was to afraid to have oil drip over my new SLR

;ol;

Seriously though, that is bad luck. I highly doubt any timing belt issues caused that one. That is probably either serious lubrication issues, fuelling issues or just bad luck.
How were your valve springs? I ask as I had at a mates workshop a couple of months back a 2007 Holden Commodore VE V6 (3.6lt version of GM Alloytec V6 to all the non aussies out there) that snapped a valve spring. Valve dropped, took out a piston and the valve stem got wedged between crank and crankcase - locked it up good.
I might pull the head off today

wow, now that's what you call catastrophic failure!

just part that dude out. you will be SOO much happier with a newer 9-5. Set your sights on a 2004 and up and never look back.
Yeah the junk yard will only give me $200. No thanks, i know SID and ecu cost more then that. The seats are in realy good shape, heated and cooled. So i think im going to part it out my self.

Im now looking into a volvo....

·
Registered
322 Posts
My first guess would be timing belt. Nasty things happen when pistons hit valves.

Second guess is dropped/broken valve. Again, not a good scene.

I've seen both first hand...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My first guess would be timing belt. Nasty things happen when pistons hit valves.

Second guess is dropped/broken valve. Again, not a good scene.

I've seen both first hand...
Timing belt looks to be in great condition. Looks brand new, no cracks or any thing, and there was good tension on the belt too. Since i can not turn the motor over, i cant realy tell if the timing was off. As if it skipped a tooth. I took a few pictures, for reference.

Still working on taking the head off. Looks like i need to pull the timing gear off of the cam?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i dont know why people are talking about valves.. the piston ejected from the block lol... find a 4 cylinder and swap it
I got a qoute of 1300 for a used junkyard V6. For that money i think i'm better off buying another Saab, or put it as a down payment on a newer car. At this point i don't think my car is worth it, since it was in need of a suspension overall. The only true thing i have a of value is the wheels, not so much the rims but the fresh Michelin pilot tires, and my studded winter wheels.

IMG_20130428_164037 by nblracer, on Flickr

IMG_20130428_164003 by nblracer, on Flickr

IMG_20130428_163940 by nblracer, on Flickr

IMG_20130428_163930 by nblracer, on Flickr

Still looking for a way to get the sprocket off of the cam. Is there a special tool? For some reason i don't think my gear puller i have will work. I also was looking for a good write up with pics on how to remove the heads

·
Registered
7,988 Posts

how hard is that to do? (Swap the V6 for a I4 assuming you have the donor)

The reason I ask is that my son's 99 has about 100K on a 4-cyl and the body is a bit beat, a couple of dings and a lot of the clear coat coming off, cracked windshield, cracked woodgrain dash, etc) I saw on craigslist today a 2001 9-5 V6 that has engine problems (guy says it needs a valve job but it does run) for a reasonable price. I was thinking that if the body and interior are good I could buy that one pull the V6, plug in my son's 4-cyl and then part out the green 99. (my neighbors are going to love me, 3 cars in the garage and 3 saabs in the driveway)

·
Registered
927 Posts

IMG_20130428_163930 by nblracer, on Flickr

Still looking for a way to get the sprocket off of the cam. Is there a special tool? For some reason i don't think my gear puller i have will work. I also was looking for a good write up with pics on how to remove the heads
thats pretty rusted/corroded. Did your plastic cover have a crack in it and water leaked in? When I pulled my V6 with 17X,XXX miles it didnt look that bad at all.. to get the gear off, you need a pair of oil filter channel locks to bite down on the gear and the other end will be supported by the firewall and you can losen the bolt that holds the gear on. I saw a pair of channel locks this guy used but couldnt find them in the store and the oil filter channel locks worked just fine for me

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats pretty rusted/corroded. Did your plastic cover have a crack in it and water leaked in? When I pulled my V6 with 17X,XXX miles it didnt look that bad at all.. to get the gear off, you need a pair of oil filter channel locks to bite down on the gear and the other end will be supported by the firewall and you can losen the bolt that holds the gear on. I saw a pair of channel locks this guy used but couldnt find them in the store and the oil filter channel locks worked just fine for me
yes there was a crack in the cover. But for the most part i thought it was clean in there. Most of the dirt was around one of the cam seals. It probbly had a minor leak at one point.

Anyways i was able to get the gears off. and both heads are now off. I'm currently uploading pics to FlickR. Ill post them soon.

Still want to know why this happen. Did the rod give out first, or the piston? Did the motor hydrauliced? Did i have a explosion/knocked?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.