SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
USA Saab 9-5 Red Aero Wagon Project

I am finally going to start this thread on the Saab 9-5 Aero 2000 stick shift red estate project that I am building.

h

I have always coveted the red Aero wagon and have wanted one for a long time. Also I have to admit that I like the look of the 1999 to 2001 cars the best. I feel GM started messing with the original design just to make it look different.

I hunted down 2 wagons over the last few years. One in Florida that was cosmetically excellent, but had some mysterious engine problems that the seller had no interest in fixing and was asking a very high price. I found another great wagon in Wisconsin........really well turned out with a high selling price but it looked great. I was turned off when I found it had a salvage title that would probably give me problems getting it registered in CA. I kept looking and finally decided to build one.

Around this time I saw the Positiv thread here and was very impressed. I know lots about Saab......especially the 95s. I learned how to drive on a Saab 93b in Rhode Island when I was a kid and have always had one for the last 57 years.

Yes I love the 95 Aeros and we currently have 5 in our family. My wife has a pristine 2001 Silver Aero wagon automatic, she also has a 2003 Black Aero Sedan. I have the red wagon project and the 2001 95 Aero stick silver sedan that will donate its engine to this project. My son has a 2004 Aero 95 wagon black with a tune and some exotic wheels all in black.

We have also owned a 1999 Green wagon stick 2.3 engine [before the Aeros were built].......We had a 1997 9000 red Aero, and 4 classic 900 turbos and 3 2 strokes going back to 1959 that I had in high school.

My plan for this project is to resurrect this wonderful red 2000 aero with a 280 HP tuned 2.3 engine, along with lots of mechanical upgrades and cosmetic as well.

I am going to start with some individual modifications and restorations of some of the components. Photos of the red wagon will come soon as well.

Today I will start with the shift mechanism. I will be installing a Genuinesaab.com shift from the 2001 donor car as a starter. the new shifter really was a revelation, but there was still play in the system somewhere.....so I decided to look at the linkage from the shifter to the transmission.

I removed the parallelogram-like shift mechanism that connect the trans to the cockpit shifter rod.

This is what it looked like when I removed it, and after I cleaned it up. You can see from these photos that the end of the shaft ball joint outer housing is Plastic.....yes plastic. After a few years the plastic rubbing on the steel ball in the center will get a bit loose........the plastic is soft enough to wear and deform.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I cleaned up the mechanism and started disassembling. there was LOTS of play in the ball joints and some more where in the lower pivots that have a steel shaft through a plastic cast housing. I will work on this shaft with some nylon tipped inserts;

The plastic ball ends are a funky design.....they are going to be slopping by design from the beginning of their service life. A catch allows you to open the plastic housing and remove the ball.

I sourced some all steel sealed ball ends and adjustable steel shafts to replace the worn out plastic joints. These are adjusted to the same length as the original pieces. The shafts screw into the old ball mounts. All of the play is now gone from these joints. This should make a BIG difference.

The first photo on the left shows the assembly with new ball joint and the old ones below. Next photo is the bracket that has the ball for the shorter joint. Right photo shows the old and new precise ball joint arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is the complete assembly. I am working on the bracket end. It will need a female threaded holder for the new ball joint. I have a nifty fitting that I will weld in here for this joint on the bracket.

I am also working on a modification to take some play out of the lower pivots. I will post that soon. I am also thinking of grease fittings for the lower joint to keep it well lubricated.

I know they changed the design in later years, I would be very interested in examples of these parts if any has photos of information.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Does the pinch bolt pivot on the shaft? I need to redo my alignment and skew it. After I dropped one of my extensions, I found it easier to loosen from underneath the car but wonder if I could pivot it so it could be done from above easily.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont get it. Why you have to make more or less the same tread name as I have. :roll:
I love your tread. I respect what you have done. I thought it was a compliment. I am open to suggestions and will change the title if it makes you happy.

Lets keep things friendly here. You asked me not to post my ideas and work on your thread, and suggested I start a new one. So I did.

Sorry the title of the thread upsets you. I am happy to change it.

We are here because we love Saabs. And I assume we want to preserve some awesome pieces of automotive design and engineering and performance. And most importantly share what we have done and learned with other like minded people.

That is my focus.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the pinch bolt pivot on the shaft? I need to redo my alignment and skew it. After I dropped one of my extensions, I found it easier to loosen from underneath the car but wonder if I could pivot it so it could be done from above easily.
the joint near the firewall pinch bolt does pivot on the shaft. The trans end does not. The bolt goes through the shaft. I assume you know the WIS alignment procedure with the 2 pins that you install in the trans and the shifter for alignment.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where did you get the replacement arms? My linkage could use some for sure. Eeuroparts sells the new style linkage for like $300 and has a good picture of it. What year did they make the switch? Might could pull one from the junk yard.
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/52215/Shift-Linkage-5164108/
I am not sure what year they made the switch. It sure looks like the went to steel.

the problem with converting the old plastic ones is that you have to modify the pivot point at the bracket which needs some welding. I will post photos today hopefully.

PM me and maybe I can help you out.

·
Registered
676 Posts
the joint near the firewall pinch bolt does pivot on the shaft. The trans end does not. The bolt goes through the shaft. I assume you know the WIS alignment procedure with the 2 pins that you install in the trans and the shifter for alignment.
Yes, I have seen the procedure. It is straight forward, although I did take the trans bolt out the fist time I tried. The pinch bolt was completely out of sight from top view. I plan on not using the second pin and skew the alignment to fix hitting the reverse detent going for 5th gear. If you look with a flashlight you can see the alignment hole in the gear selector and it should be fairly easy to skew. I just need to get my wife to tighten the bolt. :roll:

I am not sure what year they made the switch. It sure looks like the went to steel.

the problem with converting the old plastic ones is that you have to modify the pivot point at the bracket which needs some welding. I will post photos today hopefully.

PM me and maybe I can help you out.
If skewing the alignment doesn't work, I might look into pulling the new style linkage off a junked car.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a bit more work on the shift linkage today.

I welded the threaded fitting on the bracket for the support pivot. This involves cutting off the old ball fitting and welding on a hex shaped part that has internal threading to fit the 8mm 1.25 ball pivot.

Next I installed 4 5mm setscrews that have a nylon tip. These let you adjust the free play and slack out of the pivot and set the drag.

Last step was to intall 2 grease fittings so that the linkage can be lubricated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here is the overall photo of the shift linkage with the new arms and modifications. The play is VERY close to zero tolerance. I can't wait to test it out......but I do know I took lots of play out of it

When I put in the Genuinesaab.com shifter and new pivot it made a great improvement, but I still felt too much slop. It was coming from the linkage that had those plastic ball joints and sloppy worn out pivots. These modifications have corrected these problems.

I will do some research on the interchangeablity of the Saab linkage versions that came out later. You can see from this thread that eEuro sells newer linkage for $300 or so.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DUMB QUESTION.......how do I post photobucket or Google photos into the text portion of the document.....I have searched and searched and can't find any help on the tricks to do this on SaabCentral.

Help!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
DUMB QUESTION.......how do I post photobucket or Google photos into the text portion of the document.....I have searched and searched and can't find any help on the tricks to do this on SaabCentral.

Help!!
I have been using Photobuck. I forget what option it is but what I do is pull up the picture on PB I want to post, and over to the to right there will be 4 options for sharing the picture. I think the bottom option is the one you want. When you click it, it will turn yellow and say copied. The return to the post and space down to paste the picture. In the reply field it will still just look like a link. Click post preview, and if you have the correct option it will show up as a picture in the post preview. If you chose the wrong one it will show up as a link in the post preview as well.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I verified it is the 4th option for sharing a photo. The other options will only give a link. I think but am not sure that for sharing and image the folder can still be set to private. If the image I attached of my dog is visible, it is in a private folder. If it is not visible, than you will need to set the folder to public.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Jeffreywp1.....you are my hero....this finally worked.. Here is a photo of the upgraded/modified shifter mechanism.

This shot shows the grease fitting and the 2 nylon tipped inserts that have been added to tighten the worn shaft.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Looks like it should be an emprovment. Could you see the photo I posted of the dog from the folder that was set to private? Want to know if I can stop making the folders public.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
THIS is the 2000 Aero stick shift I am starting with. Behind it under the cover is the 2001 stick Aero sedan with the tuned engine in it that is the donor car.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts