SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I spent about 10 minutes in the passenger's seat of a new 08 Vector SS while the sales guys dropped me at the office (car in shop for planned revision).

Of course, that car had just 2k on the teller, but anyway:
- Greater seats... or are mine used (66k miles)
- Greater leather... but this is the premium leather. I really felt the difference.
- Full leather: I didn't really notice the fake leather on the doors and sides/back of the seats (though I now it is fake) until I saw the full leather from inside the car. Much nicer, but expensive (1600 € = about $2000)
- Nav system: I'm not familiar with the old one, just with mobile GPS like TomTom's. Screen looks nice and well readable. Did not notice any DVD noise (while in my collegue's CD based system, it is really noticable). Plus seemed to have found rapidly satellites.
- Sound quality: music was at normal level, but fell much richer in bass, without the Bose option.
- I very much like the new noise, but am less enthousiast about the tail lights. Depending on the car color, makes a big difference.
- Looks like now one can disable the passenger airbag. Nice
- Dash board is ok, did not notice annoying reflection in windshield. But I was not driving, so I'd doublecheck later.
- No rattles ! None ! But, indeed, this car is new, needs to be looked at at 66k miles ;)

All in all, makes an interesting choice for when my current leasing is finished...

·
Registered
650 Posts
nice quick comparison on models. I am very interested in seeing the MY08 model in person. I probably should wait for 2 years, because I will want to buy one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I had a new 08 as a loaner for a day and decided to go have lunch with my lady to also have her opinion. She was not enthousiast. And though we both were immediatly attracted to the MY05 93SS when test driving it for a day, I have to say this new 08 is a disappointment. Let's be factual.

- Interior redesign. Less is more they say. But now, the interior gives a cheap overal impression. Two "poor" dialer for the climat control. No display anymore for climat. And of course also SID gone. When sitting behind the wheel, have you ever noticed how well shaped the dashboard used to be (well, is in mine :D ): the curves of the SID behind the curve of the main dashboard is like a landscape of hills or waves. Now it is just flat. No magic.:confused: But no rattles :eek: Or is it because it had only 3000 miles ?
And yes, the chrome -ugly- line around the dashboard does reflect in the windshield... a lot ! :(

- Stereo. I have the ES2-150. It was crap and it is now average after changing 4 out of the 7 speakers. The car I just tested was equiped with the new GPS. Nicer display indeed. Nicer sound also (though I'm not sure whether it was Bose or not- did not see bose logo on speakers grill). But the radio reception was way worst than on the previous system: sound continuously was changing in quality, from poor to perfect. WTF ??? And then I pushed up the volume. Ouch, looks like the speakers have probably not changed. I seriously hope this is not the Bose version.

- Exterior. I'm quite happy about the front. Makes it more agressive. But my wife was not impressed. But the back. :roll: Those "ice" blocks, with a "chromed" line between them. Looks ok on the SportHatch, but awful on the Sedan. IMHO. I loved the black paint (like mine). But it looks bizarre in black now with those new lights. I saw a silver gray 93ss in the show room. It looks ok with that color, but then the chrome fades out on the front of the car, which is a pity. And that chrome looks like... I don't know what it will look like after a few months :confused: .

Mixed feelings. Am I gonna go for the difference -Saabs 93 are still a niche market here - or for satisfaction - new Audi A4 looks pretty nice, but then I'm sure I'll be one of the zillion of audi drivers (no offense) ?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
AustinP said:
Mixed feelings. Am I gonna go for the difference -Saabs 93 are still a niche market here - or for satisfaction - new Audi A4 looks pretty nice, but then I'm sure I'll be one of the zillion of audi drivers (no offense) ?
I guess I got the opposite impression after driving the '08 9-3 2.0T Combi... I loved just about everything about the car. I liked that the controls were simplified and any extra digital displays eliminated. I didn't get the cheap feeling from the interior, and I thought all controls were quite intuitive. The updated styling appealed to me as well. I wasn't crazy about the plastic brushed aluminum strip in the back with the emblem on it, but that's a minor thing. I was, however, a little surprised that the heater controls didn't include the simultaneous windshield/feet option... It appears that you have to choose either windshield or feet. This is where I love my C900 - the heater controls have just about every conceivable option and are fully manual, which is awesome.

I don't like the current generation of the Audis at all. IMO, they messed up the great, smooth-looking exterior they had. The BMWs are totally hideous now, with the exception of X3 and the 7 series. And the new C-class Mercedes reminds me of a Hyundai. The only other car that's remained true to its original style is Infiniti, but I see no sense in paying that much more money for it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I was, however, a little surprised that the heater controls didn't include the simultaneous windshield/feet option... It appears that you have to choose either windshield or feet
which if you do any Winter driving at all, is not an acceptable option.

very strange for a car from Sweden and would be a deal breaker for me.

Jaime

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said, it was my opinion and I thought sharing my observations might interest others ;) .

Some others changes that disappointed me:

- The temperature "dialer" means that you cannot any more have single or dual zone regulation "at once". I explain: I mostly am alone in my car. So today, my Saab allows me to just rise or lower the temperature by pushing on the button for my side : the temperature for the passengers' side follows. BUT when my wife is in the car, if she wants to change the temperature on her side, she can just do that without changing mine.
Now, if I want to change the temperature in the car, I must do it twice. Or did I miss something ?

-Sound system default volume is gone :confused: I did not browse all options, but what I immediatly noticed is that the volume level is not reset to any preset value. Seems like a insignificant options, but, like others, it's when it's gone that you miss it.

- AUX-in in the armrest is gone :( I hate having cables hanging around. Surely from the stereo: means it will drop on the gear box, not to mention be in front of the GPS display. There goes the safety IMHO.
PS: I have never been a Audi fan. Too dull. But honestly, the A5 & the new A4, which is very close to the A5 are not so dull anymore.

·
Registered
562 Posts
"You get what you pay for" applies in this case. The A4 is more expensive than the 9³.
A4s offer better fit/finish and quality (in the interior at least), but they are a dime a dozen.
The 9³ offers an understated yet unique styling and great handling but still has some issues with interior quality. Let alone the obstinate engine management system, the (moderate) lack of aftermarket parts, etc.
At the end of the day, one can never be 100% happy with a specific car. There's always a little something that spoils the picture.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Amen to that ;). And I'm a Saab 93ss fan, believe me.

The paradox is that if all faults noted plus the interior quality were to be improved... soon the 93 would be as popular as an A4 or BMW... and lose its uniqueness... Mmmmh... bugger LOL

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
3rd stone from the sun said:
At the end of the day, one can never be 100% happy with a specific car. There's always a little something that spoils the picture.
haha - ain't that the truth!

I guess that's why I bought '87 900 SPG and '84 Benz 300SD turbodiesel a few years back - both rather unique cars that the manufacturers "got right" when they originally came out, and I could actually pay for them in cash now ;)

Now it's all about compromises... I still prefer the 9-3 above its competitors. I don't know much SAAB is left in this SAAB, but its design and character still agree well with my current taste.

·
Registered
128 Posts
deniss said:
I guess I got the opposite impression after driving the '08 9-3 2.0T Combi... I loved just about everything about the car....
I don't like the current generation of the Audis at all. IMO, they messed up the great, smooth-looking exterior they had. The BMWs are totally hideous now, with the exception of X3 and the 7 series. And the new C-class Mercedes reminds me of a Hyundai. The only other car that's remained true to its original style is Infiniti, but I see no sense in paying that much more money for it.
Your post along with previous posts have got a lot of solid points. I, too like the 08s in the Combi model. I'm not crazy about the chrome and white rear lights on anything but the lighter or more metallic colors (silver, titan gray). Def. not in black. IMO, both models (SS and SC) look like after market Japanese cars with all of the chrome (in black).

Secondly, I too have a problem with the current generation of Audis. Not to mention, I can't tell any difference between the Passats and the A4s except for the grill. (whoopee!) I'd have to disagree with your point about the BMWs. I think they all look pretty nice with sharp lines. However the Combi looks a ton better than their 3 and 5 series wagons.

Also, I see no real reason to investigate MB anymore. After my family having a few in the past years, I've noticed a sharp decline in quality. The doors to my old 75 were solid and the car was distinctive amongst other cars. I tend to think the C-Class looks more like what Toyota is going for with their Corollas.

Infinitis are nice, but they must be churning those things out by the conveyer belt full. They're everywhere and starting to feel kinda boring. My neighbor has one and he eyeballs my SAAB all the time.

Lastly, I wanted to make a remark on Lexus. As long as I'm chewin' out every other car company out there, I'd like to say that the SUV market destroyed my impression of these high end Toyotas. First of all, I'd never buy one because I think they're overpriced and pretentious. But, why would you want to pretend that you're actually driving a luxury SUV when the newer CR-Vs are so much nicer and they are considered mid-range. Death to Lexus! I'll give 'em about 5 more years and they'll start having Lexus Sharper Image Editions or use Imported leather from rare birds just to appear like their special.

:p

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
thomjam said:
deniss said:
I was, however, a little surprised that the heater controls didn't include the simultaneous windshield/feet option... It appears that you have to choose either windshield or feet
which if you do any Winter driving at all, is not an acceptable option.

very strange for a car from Sweden and would be a deal breaker for me.

Jaime
To revisit this... Those who have an '03 - '06 9-3 with the phased-out digital climate control... Can you simultaneously blow heat on windshield and feet, or could those not be combined even back then?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
deniss said:
To revisit this... Those who have an '03 - '06 9-3 with the phased-out digital climate control... Can you simultaneously blow heat on windshield and feet, or could those not be combined even back then?
Nope. It's either feet or windshield. I still think though the climate system in the car is superior in comparison to others.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Vector-SS said:
Nope. It's either feet or windshield. I still think though the climate system in the car is superior in comparison to others.
I have an 07' and I can have feet and windshield on.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
tozion said:
I have an 07' and I can have feet and windshield on.
How do you manage that? Hold two buttons at the same time? That's the only thing I didn't try in the '08 that I drove...

·
Registered
230 Posts
The Swedish Bullet said:
In my '07 I can select FEET and then WINDSHIELD, and they both end up selected (e.g. little green light on both).
In fact all three buttons can be pushed and on simaltanously, and it is displayed as such in the manual.
This is on my 07 93.

Now, in the 2008 93 there is no longer a SID?
No display?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
monsaab said:
In fact all three buttons can be pushed and on simaltanously, and it is displayed as such in the manual.
This is on my 07 93.
Ohhhh excellent!!! :cheesy: I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Ohh, sorry for the confusion guys but I thought you guys were referring to the windshield defrost (yellow light) and feet heat (green arrow). So yes, the windshield heat ( up green arrow) and feet heat (down green arrow) can be selected at the same time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.