SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't open my trunk with my key or with the button on the driver's side door. I've never had a problem until today when a friend slammed the trunk closed rather hard, and now I can't get it to open in any way. I even tried the emergency release in the trunk (quite fun crawling in there), and that does nothing.

(Just to clarify - the trunk release button my the key does register, I get three chirps, but the trunk latch doesn't open; I can normally hear when it releases and I don't hear anything.)

Any ideas??

G

·
Occassionally the wire will break along the hinge of the trunklid. Check your connections there as thats likely the problem.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I had a similar problem but from a different cause. I noticed that my trunk was getting harder to close and finally it happend. It would not open. I had to crawl into the trunk to pull the emergency cable and nothing happened. Then I tried it again except this time I pulled the cable handle towards the passenger side and parallel the trunk lid and it popped open. The first time I pulled the cable I cut part of the trunk liner with the cable. Later I re-adjusted the catch and now the trunk closes easily.

G

·
I just noticed that the 02+ cars seem to lack a keyhole back there. I assume the mechanism is in the same place.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Isn't that "emergency cable" the cord that opens the gas tank...? :eek:

Oh, and have you tried tugging on the trunk when pressing the button? Sounds to me like your locking mechanism jammed, which will keep the spring loaded lock from un-locking.

G

·
I had a similiar problem. I would hit the key fob and hear the 3 beeps and the relay in the trunk activating but the trunk would not open. I had to press down on the trunk and then it would open. The latch where the trunk lid hooks on to was out of adjustment(too tight). I readjusted the latch by moving it up one notch and the problem was resolved.

So hit the key fob while pushing down on the trunk and see what happens.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys - I'm going to try pushing down on the trunk while I open it right now.

SectorNine50 - There are two things to pull in the trunk. On the side there's a pull to open the gas tank. On the trunk lid there's the emergency "Oh no, I'm a kid who got locked in the trunk!" handle. (It glows in the dark so you can see it.)

G

·
Just for clarification
MY 99-01, release for gas cap in trunk
MY 02-04, releases for gas cap & kid stuck in trunk(2 cables)
05-forward, release for kid stuck in trunk. Saab eliminated electronic gas cover release. Now use manual finger in notch to open cap.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No luck. Pushing down on the trunk doesn't allow the latch to open. I don't hear and response from the latch at all (the chirps sound, but the latch doesn't make any noise). I'm not sure why the emergency release wouldn't work - I assume that should still function, even if a wire to the release is broken.

It was just about time to visit the garage anyways, so I'll have them take a look. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts