SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the oil in my transmission today, I have a 1998 900SE. The stuff that came out looked like used motor oil. I thought that the oil in the transmission didn't get dark. Anyway I drained it, then did a one quart fill ran it through the gears and drained again. I filled it with 5w30 synthetic motor oil. On the way home from work Mr. SID said my milage was 27.5mpg on the way to work it was 27.2mpg. If you haven't ever changed the oil or not in a wile maybe you should consider doing so for gas mileage.

P.S. I changed it at work, perks of working in a garage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
is it standard practice to fill your transmission with motor oil? what am I missing here. I've seen brown tranny fluid, but never black, must have been really old. :eek: Mike

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was kind asking really what color it should have been but got side tracked. It should have come filled with oil (in the manuel trans only) the thing that scared be is that the trans doesn't get blow by carbon and what not in it so it should have looked fresh regardless of age, I think. It was also pretty thick and the plug had alot of metal magnitized to it, pretty scary stuff. It now seems to shift slightly better, and I got the boost in fuel economy which I would atribute to the old stuff being thick.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Black could be heat damage - 27.2 to 27.5? - are you sure the SID is this accurate or have you miss spelt these numbers?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
The early transmissions had motor oil in them, later it was changed to a modified version of dexron III [iirc].

Over time it will degrade and a stock trim car driven sensibly should have oil run out largely the same colour it went in [the sensonic I re-engined recently had tranny oil a slightly redish-brown] if you run hard or have well above stock power then the extra heat will damage the oil and it should therefore become part of the service schedule.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shirozina said:
Black could be heat damage - 27.2 to 27.5? - are you sure the SID is this accurate or have you miss spelt these numbers?
I reset it when I changed my oil about 700 miles ago so now it has leveled off. So I do see that as a real gain, I will be leaving for work shortly and I will report if it changes anymore.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Is it ok to replace motor oil with something else on early transmissions (1994)? Like Redline MTL or is it better to just stick with motor oil?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MTL is just fine, I am just poor right now or that would be what I would have used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts