SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably asked and answered lots of times, but the terminology seems to vary.

I'm getting a loud clunk when dowshifting or backing off the gas. It can be quite the bang if it's a hard downshift. The shift lever wobbles around when I get on/off the gas. One of the drivetrain mounts is obviously unhappy.

With some input from the Saab shop, I think it's the one between the transmission and subframe on the back side of the engine. Would this mount be what I'm looking for: http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList...DB234I/fuelTGAS/TransCTStandard/pagenum1/tabS

In case the link doesn't work, the description is:
Corteco Left Lower Engine Mount
Inner
Hydraulic
At Firewall side of Engine

Product Notes: At Firewall side of Engine

Picture shows a cylinder with studs coming out of the top and bottom, and a safety cable. Saab shop says that the clunk is the safety cable snapping tight. So I think this is the part I need to fix the problem.

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
The center/rear/middle/firewall side/whatever engine mount is the one you listed it sits between the center/cross beam section of the subframe and a bracket on the transmission, it is responsible for reducing the rotation of the engine (the other two on the outer edges of the car mostly support the engine/transmission).
From your description of the problem, that is the correct part you need to replace, you can also check the current mount to see if any of the hydraulic fluid as leaked out (look for an oily mess) which is also a sign of failure.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The center/rear/middle/firewall side/whatever engine mount is the one you listed it sits between the center/cross beam section of the subframe and a bracket on the transmission, it is responsible for reducing the rotation of the engine (the other two on the outer edges of the car mostly support the engine/transmission).
From your description of the problem, that is the correct part you need to replace, you can also check the current mount to see if any of the hydraulic fluid as leaked out (look for an oily mess) which is also a sign of failure.
Thanks Jake. I don't think I have fluid like that on my driveway, though after the massive power steering pump leak it's kind of hard to tell. The mount may have been dead before I purchased the car last fall anyway.

Oh yeah, in reverse I get a lot of vibration and noise, especially as I let the clutch out. Once it's loaded up and moving, it's not so bad. Time to order me one of these mounts!

·
Registered
257 Posts
You should also visually inspect the front left transmission mount, which is located more or less under the battery. It's easy to see if you remove that corner's wheel and pull back the wheel well splash guard. My SAAB had this problem at around 155K, and the result was just as you described-- the stick shift would jump an inch or more when going from acceleration to engine braking. Eventually, after enough of this, the shift linkage (original/old NG900 style linkage) hardmount bushing failed and I could no longer shift into 5th or R until I replaced the bushing, mount, and realigned the shift linkage.

If it is this mount that has failed, it's relatively straightforward to replace and an aftermarket part is about $50. (SAAB 4356176) (Example online: http://autoplicity.com/products/330...ent=3301196NOFITMENT&utm_campaign=GSNOFITMENT )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts