SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm trying to remove the rear shocks and the upper retaining nuts wont budge. The whole assembly keeps tuning, bushings and all, and I feel like I'm running on a treadmill...

Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
KD Tool,Lancaster,PA

mike saunders said:
Hello all,

I'm trying to remove the rear shocks and the upper retaining nuts wont budge. The whole assembly keeps tuning, bushings and all, and I feel like I'm running on a treadmill...

Anyone have any tips?
I still have the special tool for this(KD tools # 465), it holds the shock in place whilst a man just uses a regular wench on one of the two nuts..This tool can be used on most of the world's cars... I may have last used it on the '63 96 that i owned a few years back...
Vise grips may or may not work..

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Hi Mike - I've got my trunk liner out right now. I can see that the screw part of the shock has a flat spot on top. I doubt you could see it through the little access hole, but I bet if you slap a wrench on it your problem is solved.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
J, Earthworm: Thank you both!!.

I think I can strip away that plastic strut cover and put a ViseGrip on that sucker. I'll report back later tonight....

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Interesting, mine doesn't even have a cover. Just the bare all thread sticking up with the wrench space on the top.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

My nuts are free!

The Vise Grip trick worked like a charm once I cut off that plastic bit.

Many thanks, gents.....

I'll post pics of the ride in the morning. The rear looks like it's settling slowly, so I'll get a better clue about actual ride height in the morning.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Excellent, dip !

Great site.
I wonder how man ever functioned before the era of the vise-grips ???

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
just a note; I recently did my rear shocks as well. I used vice grips up top at first to hold the shock from spinning, then, once I could get the shock to 'drop down a bit' (loosened the nut somewhat, but then vice grips get in way of nut), I went to the wheel well, and attached the vice grips down under there.

When you turned the nut then, the vice grips caught on the edge of the wheel well, and you're golden.

I realize it's late, but this method requires no cutting of plastic, etc.

-bny

·
Registered
11 Posts
trying this, i was able to get the nut some of the way off but now i've lost grip. no matter which part i move the vise to, some other part spins freely, including the top nut.

can't i just whip out the angle grinder and cut the piston down in the wheel well and yank what's left up and out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i was able to chop it with a dremel:

by wedging a breaker bar between the body and the upholstery, instead of going through the cutout, i could lever the upholstery away from the upper mount enough to shove my hand down there and hold a dremel. it goes in there sort of like if you were holding a dagger, that way you keep the speed switch on the dremel just at the webbing between your thumb and first finger, so you can safely operate it. i held it down in position first, then switched speeds with my other free hand.

used a cheapo cutting wheel to cut a notch straight down into the top of the threaded rod and the nut, both. lotsa sparks! then i just hammered on a bigass flathead screwdriver to separate both C-shaped sides of the nut from the threaded rod.

before putting the upholstery back i shoved paper towels down into the crack below the mount, sprayed some waterless car wash/detail stuff, and wiped up the metal dust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts