SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a VW show today and I took my Saab because my Corrado project is not done yet. A vendor was on hand and had a Dyno Dynamics for people to use. The temp was 105 F so I was expecting less than optimal numbers. I was also told that these Dyno Dynamics dynos are some of the most accurate even though they supposedly put out lower numbers than a dynojet.

Anyway....

My 2000 Aero Manual put down 175whp then 185whp then 190whp in 3 back to back runs. I figured the intercooler would have heat soaked after the first run but every time it seemed to make more power. The torque was 240 ft.lbs.

I am relieved that my Saab is putting down the power it is supposed to put down.

Also....a stage 3 1.8T VW was there dyno'ing and put down 213whp. The stage 3 is a GT28RS turbo for the VW guys.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nice numbers. I'm thinking of dumping my raddo and picking up an Aero for my wife, around 10k, in the near future.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
JsnAero said:
Had a VW show today and I took my Saab because my Corrado project is not done yet. A vendor was on hand and had a Dyno Dynamics for people to use. The temp was 105 F so I was expecting less than optimal numbers. I was also told that these Dyno Dynamics dynos are some of the most accurate even though they supposedly put out lower numbers than a dynojet.

Anyway....

My 2000 Aero Manual put down 175whp then 185whp then 190whp in 3 back to back runs. I figured the intercooler would have heat soaked after the first run but every time it seemed to make more power. The torque was 240 ft.lbs.

I am relieved that my Saab is putting down the power it is supposed to put down.

Also....a stage 3 1.8T VW was there dyno'ing and put down 213whp. The stage 3 is a GT28RS turbo for the VW guys.
I bet if you had done one more after letting the car cool, you would have had even higher numbers. Every run the car was tuning it's self to performance. You probably had been driving it pretty normally on your way there, so it changed it's mapping for economy.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would not be overly happy with those figures.

Using the average of your 3 runs, and a 15% drive train loss equates to around 210bhp (crank)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
paolo said:

Using the average of your 3 runs, and a 15% drive train loss equates to around 210bhp (crank)
But it's 105 F degrees, that's really f-ing hot. :eek:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Im going to a dyno day with a friend this saturday (Primera owners club), he getting his car dynod, may get mine dynod, will post up if i do.

Ive never used one, seems that it stresses car...maybe im wrong:confused:

If your cars good to drive, dont worry what the numbers are!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
paolo said:

The dyno is not a dynojet. It has lower but more accurate numbers. On a dynojet the dyno operator says it would be 8 - 15% higher numbers.

A stock GTi VR6 has 174 bhp and puts down 120 whp on this dyno. That is a loss of 30% at the wheels on this dyno. Take that at what you will but, again, I will state this dyno is not a dynojet it shows different numbers that most people are unhappy with. I am happy with the numbers from this dyno and the temperature.

A Volvo S40 with a built engine and a super16g turbo put down 163whp but needed a remap to go with his bigger turbo setup. A 225TT put down 175 whp right after I was done.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm curious, how are the figures more accurate when they are loads lower than the car manufacturers figures? It seems that all cars dynoed are low. Just curious not looking to be awkward.
P

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
My 2000 Aero puts 400 horsepower down at the rear wheels, and the engine isn't even attached to them! Imagine what the front ones put down!!!! :eek:

Haha regardless, those are great numbers at 105 degrees, especially after 3 consecutive runs.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
paolo said:
I'm curious, how are the figures more accurate when they are loads lower than the car manufacturers figures? It seems that all cars dynoed are low. Just curious not looking to be awkward.
P
Because those ratings are power at the wheels. All manufacturer's ratings are at the crank.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I appreciate the drive train loss, but Jsn Aero noted that this dyno gave lower figures - Im curious as to why this dyno gives lower reading that all.
P

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
paolo said:
Im curious as to why this dyno gives lower reading that all.
P
So he feels better about the results probably, everyone else's readings on other lesser dynos are clearly exagerated ;)

We looked into buying a rolling road and funnily enough every company was "considerably more accurate" than the rest :roll:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I hear one of the most accurate ways of getting power ratings is still through the OBDII port. :eek:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
I hear one of the most accurate ways of getting power ratings is still through the OBDII port. :eek:
Yeah let Tech 2 do the work :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The most accurate dyno is a 1/4 dragstrip. Plug in the weight and mph over a given distance and you get the power required. I have found that the dyno dynamics gives numbers closer to what the formula gives than a dynojet.

The formula is: hp = weight * (speed / 234)3

online calculator for hp by 1/4 mph

My Corrado was dynoed on a dyno dynamics and put down 410 whp. I then went to the 1/4 mile and ran a 12.5 at 124 mph which for a 2750lb car is miraculously 409 whp. Wow, the formula works and the dyno dynamics is accurate. Interestingly when I dynoed on a dynojet it put down 460whp. 10% higher than the dyno dynamics run. No tunning was changed and I was running the same Autronic Map I ran on the dyno dynamics.

I don't need to feel better about the numbers. I never care what the numbers are. I use the dyno for what it is, a tunning tool. I let the 1/4 times and speeds speak for the power. If I want to feel good about my numbers I do to the nearby dynojet people.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SectorNine50 said:
That would work....afterall, that is how the nifty little HP gauge on the Veyron works.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
JsnAero said:
I don't need to feel better about the numbers. I never care what the numbers are.
Well said!

Me neither.........

1 - 20 of 27 Posts