SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 1972 Sonett from 1978 thru about 1997. Kids and lack of garage space and money to restore it led me to sell it. Well, over 20 years later, and 5 weeks from retirement, I found one for me. 1970, and I will get a second V4 that has been upgraded to put into it. Will have Weber 2 barrel, lightened fly wheel, close ratio trans, larger exhaust. Only 79,000 miles, newer paint job, Dodge Challenger "Green with Envy"

Will be delivered to my home in Tucson Sunday.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Very exciting! Congratulations! At some point I’ll be adding another one to my garage as well.

Change your gear oil over to Redline Synthetic and lockout the freewheel right away. ;)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't remember if freewheeling was locked out in my previous Sonett, but I know I never used it. Is that just as good or is there a chance of it engaging on its own?

And I know of a front clip and doors if you are getting one that needs restoration. And I will probably have an extra stock V4 assuming the powered up one I am getting works out

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Don't remember if freewheeling was locked out in my previous Sonett, but I know I never used it. Is that just as good or is there a chance of it engaging on its own?

And I know of a front clip and doors if you are getting one that needs restoration. And I will probably have an extra stock V4 assuming the powered up one I am getting works out
As long as that handle doesn’t move, I’d think you should be ok.

As my engine was built for 200 HP+, I had to do something completely different with my freewheel. I had Jack Lawrence made a hub that used a pressed in, interference-fit, sleeve. The sleeve was then double-welded in. That way, I didn’t have to worry about the hubs “teeth” breaking off. Even with the freewheel locked out, only a few teeth at a time engage. Not a very strong setup from the factory, IMO. But even if you’re in the 100 HP range, you should be fine. No sidestepping the clutch though... ;)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sidestepping the clutch? That means you just try to match revs and slam into the next gear?
No, that's not me. I drove over 100, 000 miles without replacing the clutch, is that good?
Drove a 1987 900S 200K and a 1996 900SE for 190,000 with no clutch job. I am a spirited driver but not a boy racer, I'm 71 now, haha

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Sounds like you behave (for the most part :)), you should be in good shape. (y)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How random is this?! A SAAB Club of Missouri member spotted my car in transit in Missouri yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
That’s great! You never see them on the road, so when you do it definitely catches your eye (as a Saab lover).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts